i have 3 eggs under my broody. 1 has hatched on day 21 but other 2 we are on day 23 and still nothin

cazzzyboy

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 6, 2011
i bought all eggs from same breeder from same batch at same time and put them all under my silkie at once. day 21 my first chick arrived but now day 23 and other 2 arent even pipping yet. at day 13 all were doing ok when candled and havnt touched eggs since other than on evening of day 21 to see if they hatched so are the other 2 eggs now dead or just taking longer? dont want to disturb them too much just incase? any1 any info please? thanks. calum

I'm curious to hear on this topic too, my girl had 4 eggs (exact dates laid unknown as her first clutch was removed so she got an egg every day or two over a week) long story short I have the same interest, 1 egg hatched on what I assume is day 21, not sure how long to hold out hope on the others.

its just so frustrating in the last few days. I sat all eggs under at same time so im assuming thats when they would "start cooking"! exactly 23 days for me now so wondering if i should do anything to help, find out etc as in helping eggs pip or anything!! dont want to leave the hen sitting if theres no more to hatch either!! It would be understanding if all eggs hatched on a certain day or at day intervals but im starting to doubt the other 2 now!!

will your hen peck if you take an egg out? My girls really docile and I could pull an egg to listen to see if i can hear chirping from inside. The chick can chirp before pipping as i understand it and if you hear it getting fainter over a few hours it may need help. The first chick of mine that hatched chirped in the egg 24 hours before hatching.

My broody hen left the remaining eggs so i have them under my top hoping to finish the setting for her, now i am obsessively listening to my eggs lol

im still not sure whats best to do. iv picked eggs up now and cant feel any shaking or hear chirping but i only lifted for a few brief seconds as i didnt want to have them up for too long!! your pretty patient keeping eggs up your jumper!! mite take a while!! ;0

I lasted 3 days and 2 nights then they were 24-36 hours overdue. I candled, listened and sniffed and looked for signs of movement and had a tough decision deciding to open a tiny hole or keep breast brooding lol

ended up making a small hole in the air sac (so the inner membrane stayed intact) and found they were both partially developed to about 1-2 weeks. They had stopped under the hen obviously but glad I kept trying to make sure. Also glad to be able to have a decent shower and not be rushing to get the eggs back under the boobies.

If your hen is still sitting I would say let them go. From posts I have read most hatch at day 21, but loads of people seem to have had hatchings in their incubators up to day 28. So as long as the brooder stays on leave them under her. She would keep the temp and humidity just right so there really shouldn't be big problems. Also found that others commented on no sound or movement until the chick pipped through the inner membrane.

I know it is hard waiting (Oh boy I know!). If you can get the egg away from the hen for a little longer I also read that floating them can help. If it floats (but only just) it is likely a viable fertilised egg. It may have died at some point as mine did but it is a good sign. Many people who float them at they point also find the egg wobbles a little indicating a live chick. Make sure the water temp is about 100F.

here is a link to the float test sticky thread..
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ng-egg-viability-for-late-or-overdue-hatching

my broody left the eggs today and when i got to them they were frozen. upon looking inside eggs 1 waz fully developed and in my opinion should have hatched but the other waz only partly develpoed so it was dead in the egg!! pity but at least i have one healthy chick out of it which should do ok as the mother can give it her full attention!! thanks for your help and let me know if you try again in the future!!

Sorry to hear your last two eggs didn't hatch! This happened with a few eggs in my last attempt with a broody hen of mine. The first egg successfully hatched on day 21, while the others seemed late. After 4 days, I made a tiny hole in one egg to see if it internally pipped - which it hadn't because it was shrink wrapped. This happens because of lack of humidity. I decided to assist this egg along. Assisting a chick to hatch is a controversial decision because many poultry enthusiasts insist to let nature take its course. I justified assisting this one hatch because I felt that without another baby chick, the first wouldn't do well. During the time the eggs were developing I obsessively candled them, so I felt to blame for a bad hatch. In the end the chick I assisted was perfectly healthy and mother hen adopted her back into the nest. The other eggs never hatched, pipped, or chirped inside the egg however were fully developed and seemingly alive up to a week later when we gave up on them.

Back
Top Bottom