I have 3 hens of laying age and only 1 is laying eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SPWRYAN, Oct 4, 2011.

1. SPWRYAN

SPWRYAN New Egg

Jul 21, 2011
    I have 3 hens (a barred rock, an americauna, and a buff orpington) and only the barred rock is laying eggs. I have two nest boxes and the barred rock only lays in one of them and have tried putting golf balls in the other box to try and get the other two to start laying eggs in there. I'm not exactly sure how old the buff orpington is but I bought the Americauna hen as a chick in March and I still haven't seen her lay any eggs. They are free range during the day and are kept in the coop at night. I have also tried keeping the barred rock locked out of the coop during the day after she has layed her egg and left the Americauna hen and the Buff Orpington locked up in the coop to see if they will eventually start to lay and still nothing. I am new owner of chickens so this is my first experience with laying hens. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Just like people mature at different rates, so do chickens. The other 2 will start when their bodies are ready. I'm still waiting on 3 pullets that hatched 3/9.

3. tsiecz

tsiecz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2011
    Pendleton,NY
    Welcome!!
    I myself am also new to raising chickens. I would suggest that you read all the free basic information on the website from raising chickens 101, to the breeds, building coops, to old posts, ect.
    It has a wealth of things that will help you get started. It helped me alot.
    And have fun, raising chickens is a blast!

4. AngelaB

AngelaB Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2011
    Michigan
    I am waiting for my Black Australorps to start laying. They are of age now...so just a waiting game.

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    locking up in the coop will insure they don't have a secret hiding place.
    This time of year you may need to add light (especially if they're locked up) because laying is photo-stimulated.
    When I have spring birds delayed this time of year and add light they all kick in between 1 and 2 weeks later.

6. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Do they look like they might be laying already? Big red wattles and combs? Squatting when you approach? Any of that sort of thing? If you can post a pic that might help us to gauge their maturity and whether they look close to laying, or as if they already should be (and might be hiding it).

Two of mine didn't start laying until quite late. I don't know the actual age of them, but I got them at point of lay in April and was told they should start laying within 2 - 3 weeks. One took 6 weeks to start laying, the other two waited another 4 weeks after that.

7. tsiecz

tsiecz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2011
    Pendleton,NY
    Yep I got mine and was told they will be laying any day. That was 4 weeks ago. Im hoping for "any day this year"[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by