I have 4 EE's aprx 4 wks ? and was wondering if anyone could tell if Roo or Pullet?

Happychickie

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 25, 2013

This is one where he or she is looking up....

He or she is behind the light head Easter who has lighter color on beak. Tail is poking up versus down too? Does that mean anything ? Or is it too soon to tell? If this is a rooster I have bantam's and this is a standard Egger do I need to find home? Will he hurt girls or other smaller roosters if I chose to keep a smaller rooster? Sorry first time chickening here. lol

Here's a few more of comb and close up of wing.
wink.png
The others combs are more flesh color and flatter and tails are not sticking up as high.

Also just curious do you all think Easter Egger?

Last edited:
Just curious what signs are there? The tail? Also is it safe to keep him with others being that we have some bantam sized chickens too? We were going to keep roosters if smaller but this one is a standard size EE. :(

The comb is already reddening and growing. A pullet's comb changes later. I personally wouldn't keep a standard rooster with bantam pullets but I'm sure there are folks here who have tried it and can help more with that.

Last edited:
Just curious what signs are there? The tail? Also is it safe to keep him with others being that we have some bantam sized chickens too? We were going to keep roosters if smaller but this one is a standard size EE. :(
the bright comb is a good sign. At this age, tail feathers arent really much help. Not to me any way.
As far as keeping him with bantams, are you referring to housing them together now as chicks or when they are grown?
If grown,only time will tell. I know of several people who house bantams and LF together with no problems. Others have separate coops for their bantams.

We were planning on keeping ALL together as I have heard bantams and standard to large will get along if all raised together? We have 4 standard EE's (now possible one roo there :( ) , 2 bantam EE's (suppose to be both pullets) , 1 Mille Fleur (not sure on pullets or roos yet, 6 Polish ( not sure pullets or roos yet), 7 Silkies ( not sure on Pullets or Roos with these guys either) , 3 Cochins ( all suppose to be pullets), 2 standard Brahma's (suppose to be both pullets), 1 Australorp (suppose to be pullet), and 1 Cuckoo Maran (suppose to be pullet) . Below is coop we are almost done with ... It is a 10x10 coop with a huge covered run amongst the oak trees on our property. We plan to allow them to free range with us when we are gardening and could keep eye on. I really dont want to keep separate would be a pain in the neck much easier to keep together. I also would love to keep all of them if possible as we love them all, however won't if could hurt one another. ?

So, you have 13 straight run bantams? I'm not sure how you'd keep them all in one coop if you end up with a number of roosters. The typical ratio in a flock is 10 hens per rooster. I'd plan to keep one or two roosters, not seven or more (guessing by the odds...)

Last edited:
I'd also watch for behavior. Both of my roos had the telltale "strut" going on pretty early on, and my NH Red Roo did the "one-eye-to-the-sky" head tilt from the first few weeks in the brooder.

Back
Top Bottom