I have 9 hens - how did I get 10 eggs in one day?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pixiechic, Oct 29, 2008.

1. pixiechic

pixiechic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    North GA
    Is is possible for them to lay twice in one day?

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I've read it's possible. My brother-in-law swears that sometimes one of his phoenix hens lays 2 eggs a day.

3. cyanne

cyanne Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I know that one of mine definitely has. I didn't think it was possible, but she's a hen that I found and rescued so she is isolated in her own separate cage with no other hens who could have laid the extra egg. She usually lays an egg every other day, and every once in a while will lay two days in a row. One day I came home after dark and checked the cage as usual because it was an 'egg' day for her, but there was no egg. I thought it was weird because she always lays an egg at least every other day and there had been no egg the day before. The next day there were TWO eggs in there.

There's nowhere that an egg could have hidden, the cage is just a 24 by 36 dog kennel and I checked it thoroughly.

4. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    I believe it is rare but yes a chicken can lay 2 eggs in one day. I seen my one Red Sex Link do it. There was no eggs in the nest, she layed one egg I got that one out and she laid another egg right after thr first. Good chicken. LOL.

5. prariechiken

prariechiken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    Midwest
    Might of had two hens lay one and a half eggs.... [​IMG], just kidding, but along the same lines as a double yolker, some hens are just a little better at spitting out them eggs than the rest of the girls. You got you one thats a show off... [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    I have a friend who I sold 15 White leghorn hens to and she gets up to 20 eggs a day from them alone. I suppose that during a certain time of year I suppose they lay extra. [​IMG]

7. buckeye lady

buckeye lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Rootstown Ohio
    [​IMG] Overachiever!

8. jmb

jmb Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2008
    Texas
    I have 8 Delaware hens, and 2 RIR's, and about three times a week, I get eleven eggs.

9. Chickenmagnet

Chickenmagnet Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Mine have in the Summer. Its also when I get the double yokers

10. hinky toes

hinky toes Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2008
    Bozeman, MT
    Congrats! You have prolific layers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by