I have a crow...

BriKah

In the Brooder
May 5, 2020
When I got my chickens, and they are literally “back yard chickens” they haven’t destroyed my garden yet and that’s nice.

To the point- we have two crows... oh my wow. These guys are crazy.

I had ducklings (7-9 weeks) who free roamed supervised and had a secure run for when I couldn’t supervise.

These crows kept sitting on the fence, and swooping down. Always the one.

I was constantly shouting at it to @&@&& off.

Since getting the chickens it started a whole new ball game.

Fortunately the chickens are a lot bigger- they picked a few fights with my cats and now the cats sunbathe with them. The chickens only alert us to other cats who enter the yard.

And let me say when these three shout you know it’s something!

The other day I had cleaned the yard and the chicken coop as they were ready to lay and it was grubby from the night before, (one of mine never lays before 10am)

I went indoors threw some food out for them, was filling up the watering can that I use to fill up the water fountain and wash the patio after I’ve cleaned it) they love drinking out of the fountain for some reason)

I heard the chickens kicking off something chronic, I ran to the door to see BOTH crows. One was in the tree attacking my cat, she was dangling out of the tree, the second was sat on the coop, the chickens got my attention and it flew to the tree to join in the attack. I’m not proud to say I had to protect kitty and did throw stones to scare them away. None hit them.

They come back daily, in fact the other day a baby crow was spotted by my cat beside my chickens free roam area. (My cats don’t go out at night so they had nothing to do with it) this baby can’t have even been big enough to have hatched so I’m not sure where it came from! 🧐

Five days ago one of these crows tried to pick a full grown cat up off the floor behind my house.

Nothing scares these things... how do I protect my girls from them? My chickens alert me, my cats are a deterrent but clearly they are going to keep coming back. I get it’s baby season for them but these two are wild. Crazy mad. This morning one flew in I went out and it flew at me like a bat out of ...

I’m aware of how dangerous they can be. We put mesh on the top of one fence so they can’t sit on it- but they just sit somewhere else.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Attachments

• BDD77AD0-8702-4340-B74D-66E61DE10D3D.jpeg
    BDD77AD0-8702-4340-B74D-66E61DE10D3D.jpeg
    179.8 KB · Views: 14
I saw a guy on YouTube that had two crows come and they brought diseases to his chickens so he caught them with a net and scared him off and I'm pretty sure they didn't come back so that might work but other than that I don't really have any idea hope they leave your chickens alone

I saw a guy on YouTube that had two crows come and they brought diseases to his chickens so he caught them with a net and scared him off and I'm pretty sure they didn't come back so that might work but other than that I don't really have any idea hope they leave your chickens alone
, thank you! I’ve seen traps to catch them alive but wouldn’t really want to make things worse.

I wouldn’t want to hurt them, either so other than a net over my whole yard or hoping our future dog chases them off I’m a clued out! I’ll check YouTube out see if I can find any help, most videos have titles that don’t match the videos.

Five days ago one of these crows tried to pick a full grown cat up off the floor behind my house.

Nothing scares these things... how do I protect my girls from them? My chickens alert me, my cats are a deterrent but clearly they are going to keep coming back. I get it’s baby season for them but these two are wild. Crazy mad. This morning one flew in I went out and it flew at me like a bat out of ...

I’m aware of how dangerous they can be. We put mesh on the top of one fence so they can’t sit on it- but they just sit somewhere else.

Any ideas?

Thank you!
hahahaha there is no way a crow can attempt to pick up a cat or a kitten for that matter. They don't have talons.

Back
Top Bottom