I have a dog fight emergency. Please help.

Quote:
I am not positive, but I am pretty sure that with one of the common household pets (dogs, cats) iodine is toxic? Just wanted to mention that in case. I would check before using betadine.

Iodine/betadine is not toxic with dogs. We used to use a diluted solution to wash the Vizsla's and enhance their red coat.

Good luck Sterling with your dog Zoey, give her a big hug from me
hugs.gif
Sounds like you got good advice and I bet she will be fine.

I had a dog who got shot with a bb gun in the privates many years back. And I didnt have $$ for the vet, I ended up cleaning with a diluted peroxide and giving him Penicillin shots from the farm store. He got better.

Well, this morning I stocked up on gauze, bandages, tape, neosporin, dermoplast spray, disinfectants and antibiotics.

I've washed both the girls, cleaned and wrapped them. Chey's knuckle is a tad swollen, but she's walking on it. Zoey has a small knick on her shoulder that's oozing a little, but the gashes look like they're starting to heal. Chey is confined to her kennel, Zo is tied up in my bedroom. I figured the less movement the better. Both are wearing breathable mesh muzzles so they don't remove any bandages. Once I'm certain there's no oozing/blood, I'll remove the bandages and let them get some air.
And upon seeing each other again, they're growling with raised hair and attempting to lunge again
roll.png
Seriously. Muzzles may be a common household item here for a long while.

Thanks to everyone who added worthwhile advice. Dog fights are scary, especially when you're broke.
hugs.gif

Oh Peroxide is your friend!!!! Peroxide and Furadine ointment(yellow in color but looks orange when air hits it). I agree don't stitch it, just protect it. Use a kneehigh sock if you need to to keep the dog from messing with it.

I found this under PA volunteers copy this link and see if any of them in it can help you?
This is part of what the description starts out to say: Not sure if any are close to you but MAYBE they can tell you where to go seems they all work to help out people like you who love there animals but are just short the money to take care of it. This is how it reads...

If a pet is sick, we'll pay for medications and vet care. ... humane society located in the Pocono Mountains of eastern Pennsylvania, established for the

http://www.fortheloveofrescues.com/PA.html

Sorry I hope this might help you out some I am way in FLORIDA but I found this online...

Can they drink water with the mesh muzzles on? You might want to invest in some cage/basket or wire muzzles if you plan on keeping both dogs. This style of muzzle allows the dog to open it's mouth to pant and lap up water.

Here are some examples of the muzzles I'm talking about:

ZT10611_150X150.jpg

german-mastiff-dog-muzzle-wire-5.jpg

leather-muzzle-rottweiler-muzzle-le.jpg

You want to make sure the dog can drink and pant when ever they want. Most pet stores don't carry these types of muzzles though so you might have to ask a trainers or shop around online. Alot of the bigger chain pet store might even be able to order you some.

If you only need to muzzle to keep them from chewing why not use an E-collar (cone collar)

If the dogs ever have a chance ,at all, of coming into contact with each other again, they should be muzzled at all times. It's not a happy way to live, but it's better then being chewed up.

You don't want them to get hurt again, or a person to get hurt while breaking up a fight. Especially if you have small children in the area or your own small children who might unknownly end up in the middle of the next fight.
Perhaps you should consider re-homing one of the dogs. I know nothing about the situation but from what I've heard this might be in the best interest of both of the dogs. It a hard choice to make but think of the quality of life of the dogs. You have to keep the dogs safety and your own in mind.

Dog aggression is a BIG issue that needs to be trained out of the dogs early as possible. You should see if you can find any place in the your area that offers training classes, some shelter and ASPCAs will offer free classes or greatly discounted classes.

I my self own a dog aggressive dog, who I have been working with for over a year and 1/2 to break that aggression. She is in a single dog home, but we still encounter other dogs so I've been working with her. It take a long time and alot of care. I wish you good luck.

Last edited:
Rehoming either dog is not an option. Of course these dogs aren't left unattended with my children or nieces, I am not trusting, nor stupid. No, the muzzles don't allow them to drink water, however I've been taking them outside several times today to remove the muzzle - go for a short walk around the yard to pee - and drink. SEPARATELY. That will work fine for me for now.

I will look into cage muzzles. All Petsmart had were mesh models, which is fine for now since I'm using them to keep them from eating/chewing themselves apart.

Zoey will walk on her leg now, she even tried running outside. Chey is still limping and is a bit swollen. They both just want to be cuddled. I'd imagine they feel like garbage.

Don't bash me
roll.png
But are there any human pain relievers that would work for dogs? I don't want them to be hurting.

If I remember correctly tylenol is bad, baby asprin is good. Someone should check me on that. I am pretty sure that's the case though.

Until I knew for sure, I'd alternate between hot and cold packs for as long as they'd stand it.

My neighbor once had a dog get hurt bad on her leg. Getting her to a vet at the time was impossible but he had some ambesol (the stuff to numb your teeth) in his rucksack, so he smeared some of that on (not IN) the wound and the dog seemed to have been relieved of some of the pain. The vet never said one way or the other if it was bad. I'd call a vet and see if they thought it would help.

If you give them any pain killers call a vet and just ask if it's safe first. Most vets will tell you on the phone, and some will even give you correct dosage your dog should have.

Back
Top Bottom