I have a double yolker incubated to day 17!!**PIP**

SarahIrl

Songster
9 Years
May 4, 2010
West Cork, Ireland
Lock down tomorrow, a buff orpington egg I have been quietly suspicious about is a double yolker. And has twins. Didn't spot two yolks, but there are two well defined chicks in there moving independantly. Either that or a hideously deformed one. So, I guess I should lay this one down to hatch? Normally use cartons....

Last edited:
fl.gif
How exciting! Not sure on the position. I think I would lay it down.

Get pics of this miracle, we all would love to see these two cuties
jumpy.gif

Wow, yeah I wouldn't put it in anything. Does your incubator have a window in it? I think everyone would love to see pictures of this one hatch, including Ripley's Believe it or not. Please keep posting, I would love to see these hatch. Does it have two airsacs or can you tell if one is in the right position?

It's a bit hard to see now as far as positioning. One air sac. Saw a foot tonight while candling and it is really tiny but the egg is full, seemingly two butts on either side of the shell. So I don't know. Saw a foot in another egg from the same breed tonight and it was much bigger. All chicks pertty active, they are due Thursday lunchtime, but as I am working a 12 hour shift tomorrow have locked them down tonight before bed (it's now 12.10 at night). Am expecting to assist, and I know I will probably have to assist another that is well waxed to keep it together.

I am soo excited!
wee.gif
I can't wait for an update when they hatch. Would this (twins i mean) be a first?

How many others do you know that have actually got to this stage or even hatched twins?

I can't Wait!
caf.gif
:pop

I'm a newbie here, but is there any risk of one of the chicks drowning if it's laid down? If so, is it possible to not put it in en egg carton, but to put it on a smaller ring of some kind, in the same position that it has been? I'm just wondering about the fact that they've made it this far, and changing the position of the egg drastically may kill one or both if they can't breathe, or if they'd drown.

How exciting though. Hopefully, it'll all go well. And yes, take lots of pictures!
clap.gif

Another byc-er has videos of this on you tube. Also, a few in Ireland have done it too. Wasn't expecting it to make it this far to be honest, so didn't want to hope. Of course, I could still be completely wrong, as I am fairly new to incubating, this is only my second run, with my third due on 22nd June. So, one bator locked down, another to be done on Friday. This first due hatch is certainly going to be interesting!! If my candling is right, then I am about 75% sure it's 'twins'.

They have always been laying down, as my turner is set up for it that way. I have five orps lying down and four brahmas in a carton as they are very delicate, and much smaller than the orps.

Back
Top Bottom