I Have a Feeling I Know the Answer to My Question

Blooie

Team Spina Bifida
9 Years
Feb 25, 2014
Northwestern Wyoming
My Coop
My Coop
But I thought I'd post here and find out for sure. These Red Stars (or whatever pseudonym they go by
wink.png
) are close to 6 weeks old. Same hatch, same batch, same age, but I have a sneaking suspicion that one of them is pulling a fast one on me. What do you all think? One cockerel and one pullet?

looks like it to me too but they can be tricky. some growing faster then others. have you checked their hackle feathers? roos are pointed, hen more rounded.

looks like it to me too but they can be tricky. some growing faster then others. have you checked their hackle feathers? roos are pointed, hen more rounded.
Thank you both. I apologize for not responding sooner - sometimes life just gets in the way! Per your suggestion, Granny, I tried to check the hackle feathers, but to my inexperienced eye there doesn't appear to be much difference. I think I'll run out and take few more shots focusing on that and not worrying about getting another photo of the combs....the picture I posted is pretty clear for that.
wink.png

well, i was waiting for more pictures just because i like to look at them but, you must of got side tracked. lol i went back and looked and i can see the feathers and there is no need for you to second guess yourself. i see the same thing you do. my prediction, more babies in the not too distant future.

They are sex links....there is no question of their sex...they are both pullets because they are both the same color.....red sex link cockrels are white..

I had a red sex ling (gold buff, gold star, etc) that also had a prominent comb and was twice the size of the other chicks..if she hadn't been a sex link I would have thought she was a rooster....but she's a pullet and she lays eggs.

Last edited:
They are sex links....there is no question of their sex...they are both pullets because they are both the same color.....red sex link cockrels are white..

I had a red sex ling (gold buff, gold star, etc) that also had a prominent comb and was twice the size of the other chicks..if she hadn't been a sex link I would have thought she was a rooster....but she's a pullet and she lays eggs.

Not to sound rude, but is that 100% true all the time. I mean look at them. The one clearly has a very big comb. I'm actually kinda new to chickens, just a little under 2 years under my belt, so when I say this I'm not being rude.

If that is truly a sex link chicken then yes it is reliable. The color is genetically linked to the sex of the chicken. The red sex link chicks are the pullets and the white ones are the roosters/cockrels. This is what I have read.

I know they look a lot different but I had one just like that and she turned out to be a pullet.

:hugs even crowing is not 100 % sometimes hens do that too. the most reliable method is the feathers that i know of.

Not to sound rude, but is that 100% true all the time. I mean look at them. The one clearly has a very big comb. I'm actually kinda new to chickens, just a little under 2 years under my belt, so when I say this I'm not being rude.

If that is truly a sex link chicken then yes it is reliable. The color is genetically linked to the sex of the chicken. The red sex link chicks are the pullets and the white ones are the roosters/cockrels. This is what I have read.

I know they look a lot different but I had one just like that and she turned out to be a pullet.

That's good to know for future reference

Back
Top Bottom