I have a feeling they were sold as the wrong breed...

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Hey guys,
We recently bought two new hens from a local person in our area. She sold them as EE's, and they have the looks to be EE's, green legs as well, but both of them lay brown eggs. I know that EE's and Americana's can lay brown eggs rarely, but both of them? They also don't have muffs or anything fluffy, (I know that isn't a reason they may not be EE, but it means there is a chance they could be something else.) It makes me think they are at least not pure EE. Thanks for any insight!

Ps. I down really care what breed they are, its mostly for my own curiosity. Thanks!

IMG_7283.jpeg

IMG_7281.jpeg
IMG_7280.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh, and the other hen, since we bought two, I don't have a picture, but she has more yellow legs. There not fully yellow, they have some green spots on her toes, but otherwise, that is a reason I am not certain on breed.

The bird pictured is an EE. EEs can lay brown eggs.

There is no such thing, EEs are mutts with a chance to lay colored eggs. (meaning they have Ameraucana, Legbar, or Araucana background.)
Got it thanks. It just seems weird to me that both were laying brown eggs. Anyway, I knew it was also possible that it was just a coincidence. Thanks!

Hey guys,
We recently bought two new hens from a local person in our area. She sold them as EE's, and they have the looks to be EE's, green legs as well, but both of them lay brown eggs. I know that EE's and Americana's can lay brown eggs rarely, but both of them? They also don't have muffs or anything fluffy, (I know that isn't a reason they may not be EE, but it means there is a chance they could be something else.) It makes me think they are at least not pure EE. Thanks for any insight!

Ps. I down really care what breed they are, its mostly for my own curiosity. Thanks!

View attachment 2518378

View attachment 2518376View attachment 2518377
Sometimes Easter Eggers are bred with other Easter Eggers, and the results are completely unpredictable, in terms of feather color, conformation, and egg color.

There is really no such thing as "pure EE." It's not a breed, it's a hybrid.

For example, most of the EE hens I sell are either Brown Red Ameraucana male/Delaware female mixes (mostly white with a beard, and lay medium to dark green eggs), or Brown Red Ameraucana male/Buff Orpington female (mostly buff with brown markings and a beard, and lay medium to light green eggs).
I own all the parents and they are show-quality Brown Red Ameraucanas, show-quality Delawares, and production-quality Buff Orpingtons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got it thanks. It just seems weird to me that both were laying brown eggs. Anyway, I knew it was also possible that it was just a coincidence. Thanks!
Without photos I can't speak for that one. That one may just be a barnyard mix - but with no photos it's impossible to tell. This one is an EE though. (not a first gen cross if it lays brown eggs)
I guess if you look close she does lol! Just not the big fluffy ones that most do. Thanks!
Yep, no worries.

There is really no such thing as "pure EE.". It's not a breed, it's a hybrid.

For example, most of the EE hens I sell are either Brown Red Ameraucana male/Delaware female mixes (mostly white with a beard, and lay medium to dark green eggs), or Brown Red Ameraucana male/Buff Orpington female (mostly buff with brown markings and a beard, and lay medium to light green eggs).
I own all the parents and they are show-quality Brown Red Ameraucanas, show-quality Delawares, and production-quality Buff Orpingtons.
Got it, and you know what, I knew this to haha, but totally forgot. Thank for the confirmation, I guess that since EE's aren't pure, it just happened that they got tow special ones! Haha, thanks!

Without photos I can't speak for that one. That one may just be a barnyard mix - but with no photos it's impossible to tell. This one is an EE though. (not a first gen cross if it lays brown eggs)

Yep, no worries.
The second one looks the same, just has yellower legs, and otherwise all is the same. I bet there both EE's.

Back
Top Bottom