I have a few questions.

Flockofchickens91

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2018
Mississippi
So before I ask my questions, I want to give a little info. I have 10 barred rocks age 3.5 weeks, 5 SL wyandottes age 1 weekish, and 6 cornish rocks age 1 weekish. They’re all in the same pen together.

image.jpg

This is my current pen that I am keeping them in. They were in a small pack and play and I knew it was too small so I rigged this up in hopes that there would be more room for them. My first question, is two lights going to be enough warmth for them? I have a third clamp light with a 100w incandescent light that I was using in the house with the pack and play. I also plan to close my garage door and possibly run a little space heater.

My second question is that should I be concerned over chicken sneezes?? Their food is really dusty and I can’t tell if it’s because of the food or if they’re getting sick. They’re all still actively running about, eating, and drinking.

My first question, is two lights going to be enough warmth for them?
:welcome
Do you have a thermometer down where they will be under the lights? It's good to have so you know it's not too cool or hot.
One light should be sufficient, but good to have two (when your not brooding in the house where you'd notice) if the light blows and end up with cold deceased chicks.

:welcome
Do you have a thermometer down where they will be under the lights? It's good to have so you know it's not too cool or hot.
One light should be sufficient, but good to have two (when your not brooding in the house where you'd notice) if the light blows and end up with cold deceased chicks.
I don’t have a thermometer but I noticed that they are laying on their sides with their wings fanned put. Even the younger ones are. I could turn off the second light during the day and use the second at night. This weeks it’s been in the low 40s at night.

So before I ask my questions, I want to give a little info. I have 10 barred rocks age 3.5 weeks, 5 SL wyandottes age 1 weekish, and 6 cornish rocks age 1 weekish. They’re all in the same pen together.

View attachment 1296341

This is my current pen that I am keeping them in. They were in a small pack and play and I knew it was too small so I rigged this up in hopes that there would be more room for them. My first question, is two lights going to be enough warmth for them? I have a third clamp light with a 100w incandescent light that I was using in the house with the pack and play. I also plan to close my garage door and possibly run a little space heater.

My second question is that should I be concerned over chicken sneezes?? Their food is really dusty and I can’t tell if it’s because of the food or if they’re getting sick. They’re all still actively running about, eating, and drinking.

This may have nothing to do with your questions but I brood in a similar setup. Same hex dog gate, in a garage even. Instead of heat lamps I use a Brinsea eco glow 50. In a weeks time, maybe two they will start to fly. With no top fashioned in place and those lights dangling over the brooder your asking for a fire, & many deceased chicks. I’d adapt your setup before they get any bigger. Best of luck.

I don’t have a thermometer but I noticed that they are laying on their sides with their wings fanned put. Even the younger ones are. I could turn off the second light during the day and use the second at night. This weeks it’s been in the low 40s at night.
Wings fanned out laying like that might mean they are to warm but not always. Mine seem to like doing that. With the room in your setup they could always move away from the heat.
95*, and then drop the temp 5* each week is best. I don't always go with this but it gets them ready to be without heat/feather out quicker.

Edit, I would stick to the two lights in a unheated garage, just in case one blows. I only use one in my house but our house is 70*, and someone would notice it anyway.

I’ve been sitting here watching their behavior since putting them in this, I don’t think they are too warm or too cold. None of them are chirping loudly, there are a few running about and eating and the rest are in piles around the heated area. A few in the warmest part of the glow. Also, I’m not hearing as much sneezing anymore, so maybe my house was just dusty :lol:

This may have nothing to do with your questions but I brood in a similar setup. Same hex dog gate, in a garage even. Instead of heat lamps I use a Brinsea eco glow 50. In a weeks time, maybe two they will start to fly. With no top fashioned in place and those lights dangling over the brooder your asking for a fire, & many deceased chicks. I’d adapt your setup before they get any bigger. Best of luck.
The lights are secured to the panels and the 1x2. The 1x2 is also secured. Before I put them in it I made sure to tug and shake it. They didn’t budge at all. The barred rocks are trying to fly some but I have about a foot of chicken wire at the top that I thought about folding over then covering the center with more wire.

Not t necessary for two heat lamps,escpecially at this point in their life,probably didn’t even need any at the first few days.

As for sneezing,wouldn’t bother over it.

Definitely lid the pen with wire or whatever else you might have available. The little ones are like popcorn and can leap and fly pretty high.

As far as temperature I don't use a thermometer. If they're fairly loosely spread out in the pen, not too huddled under the light and not at the edges away from the light, then the temperature is fine.

Back
Top Bottom