I have a light brahma rooster stiil a cockerel but will soon be mating. will he mate with my much smaller hens like well summers and plymouth rocks

chickenlover8969

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Oct 2, 2023
I have a light brahma rooster he is still a cockerel but I have smaller breeds for my hens my rooster was supposed to be a hen but that did not happen will he mate with my plymouth rocks and my well summers and my spotted sussex If so will he be to heavy or big will it hurt them do I have to find him a new home or put him down

He will try to mate with them, but probably won’t be successful. I had a couple of tiny OEG’s who would just plop down when the big Brahma rooster would try to mate. It was comical to watch, since he never even got close.

He will try to mate with them, but probably won’t be successful. I had a couple of tiny OEG’s who would just plop down when the big Brahma rooster would try to mate. It was comical to watch, since he never even got close.

They will not accept it, if he grabs them they'll scream and won't squat for him. Sorry, missed the previous quote
also will he try to grab them fir a wekk before he starts mating? i heard all cockerels go thru a phase bc there exploring it but it should only last for a little bit or is that wrong

Back
Top Bottom