I have a "mystery" chicken and am also trying to determine breeds of silkies, a cochin bantam and a brahma bantam.

JJandtheBoys

Chirping
Oct 26, 2020
Hello! Can anyone assist with identifying a chicken breed and gender and also the genders of the following bantams? I'd be so grateful! Below, there are photos of 5 individual birds.

The first bird (named Blueberry) was sold to us by Ideal Poultry as a red one-day old silkie. We knew this wasn't correct, even then, but we were stuck. Any ideas what this bird might be? It seems to be a bantam. 9.5 weeks old. Her tail feathers seem to have some iridescent green in them.

Screenshot_20201229-151609_Gallery.jpg processed (4).jpeg
Screenshot_20201229-151609_Gallery.jpg

This is our cochin bantam named Scoot. 9.5 weeks old. Can anyone tell the gender on this one? (2 photos)

Screenshot_20201229-143954_Gallery.jpg

20201229_143940.jpg

Here is our bantam brahma named The Colonel. Any ideas on gender? 9.5 weeks old. (4 photos)

processed (8).jpeg
processed (7).jpeg
processed (6).jpeg
processed (5).jpeg

The next two babies are 7.5 week old silkies named Sparkle (Black Silkie) and Ruby (Blue Silkie). No clue what gender they are - ideas?
processed (9).jpeg

processed (10).jpeg
processed (11).jpeg
processed (12).jpeg

Hello! Not entirely sure on Blueberries breed but the feathering looks to be that of a cockerel :'( I'll check ideal poultry's website in a bit. Not entirely sure on Scoot the blue cochin, although Colonel looks to be a female to me ^^

If you can get some more pics of sparkle and ruby's combs that would be great! Although they're still really young!! Altho, Ruby isn't blue, they look to be partridge of some sort, could be silver partridge, maybe blue partridge, not entirely certain (little rusty on the weird silkie color varieties)

Hello! Not entirely sure on Blueberries breed but the feathering looks to be that of a cockerel :'( I'll check ideal poultry's website in a bit. Not entirely sure on Scoot the blue cochin, although Colonel looks to be a female to me ^^

If you can get some more pics of sparkle and ruby's combs that would be great! Although they're still really young!! Altho, Ruby isn't blue, they look to be partridge of some sort, could be silver partridge, maybe blue partridge, not entirely certain (little rusty on the weird silkie color varieties)
I need my 14 year old son "the chicken wrangler" to help me grab the silkies for photos. He is away until Thursday, so I'll post photos of their combs then. Thank you SO much for responding.

I think Blueberry may be a hatchery grade dark Cornish bantam.

Scoot and Colonel both look like pullets.

The silkies will take longer-- I suspect the black is a cockerel, the gray is a pullet, but it is too early to be sure.

And yes, Blueberry is a definite cockerel.
Yes! :yesss: My first thought was Cornish bantam! :)
He‘s a he and may be the only one but silkies are hard to tell even when they get older! Colonel is soooooo cute! I want to pick her up and cuddle her! :love

Hello! Can anyone assist with identifying a chicken breed and gender and also the genders of the following bantams? I'd be so grateful! Below, there are photos of 5 individual birds.

The first bird (named Blueberry) was sold to us by Ideal Poultry as a red one-day old silkie. We knew this wasn't correct, even then, but we were stuck. Any ideas what this bird might be? It seems to be a bantam. 9.5 weeks old. Her tail feathers seem to have some iridescent green in them.

View attachment 2467673View attachment 2467679View attachment 2467681

This is our cochin bantam named Scoot. 9.5 weeks old. Can anyone tell the gender on this one? (2 photos)

View attachment 2467697
View attachment 2467702

Here is our bantam brahma named The Colonel. Any ideas on gender? 9.5 weeks old. (4 photos)

View attachment 2467715View attachment 2467716View attachment 2467718View attachment 2467719

The next two babies are 7.5 week old silkies named Sparkle (Black Silkie) and Ruby (Blue Silkie). No clue what gender they are - ideas?
View attachment 2467723
View attachment 2467724View attachment 2467726View attachment 2467727
The first on is a Dark Cornish. The second is a Black Cochin. The third is a Light Brahma. The fourth is a black silkie. The last is a Penciled Silkie. We're did you get the penciled silkie?

Yes! :yesss: My first thought was Cornish bantam! :)
He‘s a he and may be the only one but silkies are hard to tell even when they get older! Colonel is soooooo cute! I want to pick her up and cuddle her! :love
The Colonel is a little doll! She was seriously the CUTEST chick I have ever, EVER seen. Scoot isn't far behind though. Great temperament.

Back
Top Bottom