I have a Plymouth Barred Rock Rooster, his name is Mr. Doodles…. He is being consistently more challenging me than ever… is this normal? Can it improv

BauerWFarm

Songster
Jul 5, 2022
I have a Barred Rock Rooster, his name is Mr. Doodles. Until the past couple months he has always tolerated my presence, and enjoy my morning visits while I have coffee and update my flock journal… even just casually standing by my side, or sitting next to me…. He would occasionally get testy when I changed my shoes 😂. Other than that nothing serious. People were amazed. Yes he was hand raised and as he grown I would make sure to hold him at least once every 1 to 2 weeks…. I left for a tended amount of time during the Holidays and they were remained in their coop/run total of ten with plenty room, etc….. and I had them checked on regularly.

Since then he regularly challenges me, and we now have had more than a few encounters 🤦🏼‍♀️. Doodles is a year old now as well…. Will behavior worsen? Change back and forth? I need help…. Everyone wants me to rehome or cull him…. I have been his advocate up till now… and I’m really not sure he is that great of a rooster to his flock.

Are the roosters in breed more aggressive?? Should I opt for a more docile breed? Or just have no Rooster at all?? Not particularly wanting chicks… but I do know of one broody Speckled sussex so far. I consider myself still new to this but have gone a year with my flock now.

Help or advice is GREATLY appreciated!
Thank you!

I adopted a rooster I believe he was a light brahma I had to rehome him because he was ripping the hens skin open when mating and hurting little kids he was by far my buddy and it broke my heart he was getting a bit more testy with me around spring (mating season) nothing bad just a once and a while aggressive peck I would tell him no and he would grumble and walk away before spring he would sit on my lap so I new he trusted me I started holding a stick I never hit or hurt him it was just there to block of any attacks he was fine and come and preen next to me however like I said he hated little kids and was hurting the hens so I had to rehome him I would try holding a walking stick he was hurting the hens cause he was huge had long sharp nails and because I didn't have enough hens

Good luck

There are a lot of methods to tame a rooster. I would try some of those and if they don't work you can make your decision about what you want to do then. Just search the term "aggressive rooster" and you'll find a lot of info.

Aggressive roosters are natural, in some respects. I have to have a zero tolerance policy since I have kids, but you have to choose what you are willing to deal with. With training you may get him to respect you and your partner, but I have heard of success stories still attacking other people that they don't know.

I have heard of aggressive roosters and tame roosters in every breed, it really seems to depend on the individual temperament (except salmon faverolle roosters, I couldn't find an account of an aggressive one online, but they don't have the best egg laying genetics. If anyone has ever met an aggressive SF rooster, I would love to know).

I have had good luck with my amerucana rooster that we have had for years, and we have a younger BR rooster that is tamer than my hens. He may become aggressive with the amerucana finally passes, it is so hard to predict. I am sure you will find a good rooster if you want one, though, it just may take a couple tries first.

If your roo is just a year old he has only been mature for a couple of months. What behaviors exactly is he doing. Some behaviors are likely to dwindle as he matures and others may escalate. Making sure he knows humans are in charge can help, but some roosters are just more aggressive than others. PBR is not a breed known for its aggressiveness, but individuals vary.

I adopted a rooster I believe he was a light brahma I had to rehome him because he was ripping the hens skin open when mating and hurting little kids he was by far my buddy and it broke my heart he was getting a bit more testy with me around spring (mating season) nothing bad just a once and a while aggressive peck I would tell him no and he would grumble and walk away before spring he would sit on my lap so I new he trusted me I started holding a stick I never hit or hurt him it was just there to block of any attacks he was fine and come and preen next to me however like I said he hated little kids and was hurting the hens so I had to rehome him I would try holding a walking stick he was hurting the hens cause he was huge had long sharp nails and because I didn't have enough hens

Good luck
I started walking with a stick as well… he started flogging the stick just yesterday before a physical encounter with myself. I have hens with mating wounds as well… I’ve done aprons/saddles which ever you call them. It recommended you groom their feet… it’s very similar to clipping a cat or dogs nails…. Doing this while wrapping him in a towel and if necessary using a dremel on the spurs… which his are still developing but can give you a good welt.

Don't feel bad if you decide to cull him or rehome him for the peace of you and your hens, if that is what would feel best to you. I know it is not easy, but he has had a better life there with you than he would have gotten anywhere else already.

Back
Top Bottom