1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I have a problem.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pidgey104, Feb 7, 2009.

1. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    It my young chicken pen I have 4 roos and 1 hen. I have 2 EEs,1 Barred rock, and a very young pheonix hamburg roo. all of them are roos but I have1 barred rock hen in with them. I got the barreds together. any way I was collecting my eggs out of all my pens. I went in to feed these guys and what do I find a very dark green egg in the nest box. now for the last week I have been getting these dark green eggs from that pen. any one every heard of a barred rock hen laying green eggs????
    Okay here are the pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Picture of Barred roo
    [​IMG]

Picture of 1 EE roo the other I sold and the polish roo I moved to the polish pen.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Maybe one of your EE roos isn't really a roo.

3. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I have seen pictures on here of a barred rock/EE cross that looked very barred. One of those would lay a dark green egg...

I want to see pics!

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:my first thought too [​IMG]

5. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    One of your EE's is a GIRLIE!! You are so lucky [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Could be an EE is a girl, or one of your BRs isn't a pure BR. My girl Panda looks like a BR, no beard or muffs. She has a modified single/pea combo comb and white legs. She lays a green egg. Check your BR's legs. Mine is a BR over Blue Ameraucana mix.

7. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Either one of your EEs is a female or your BR isn't pure. Can you post pics of your birds?

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Pidgey, this is Panda. Her dad was my BR rooster, Zane, and her mama is my Blue Ameraucana, Charlotte. Except for her white legs and odd comb (combo pea/single), she looks like a BR girl. She lays green eggs. So, either one of the EEs you thought was a cockerel really isn't, or you have a BR cross.

[​IMG]

9. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    she look just like that with white legs and everything.

No both EEs are male. They both breed my gennies

10. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    I forgot to take pictures was busy working on my next pen. I'll get them ASAP

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by