I have a question about what I was told at IFA today

lanniemcvern

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 19, 2013
When I went to purchase more feed for my chicks today, the lady at the counter told me I "couldn't" feed non-medicated feed to my chicks. That if I wasn't feeding medicated feed then the chicks could pass on worms to my other pets and children. All I have read about medicated feed relates to the health and well-being of the birds. I have not come across anything leading me to believe that the worms are passed on to other animals and humans. Can anyone help me out here? I ended up buying both kinds of feed, but at this point have continued with the non-medicated. My five chicks are currently 5 weeks old and seem very healthy so far.

That's probably one of the craziest.things I've.heard. the medicated feed is for.cocci, an intestinal infection. It does nothing for worms, and many people on here have differing opinions on its efficiency in treating cocci. Some people say it lowers the chicks ability to develop an immune response to it. I fed my chicks non-medicated starter and they are healthy, happy, and finally laying.

I'm sure she meant well, but yup, everything she told you about medicated starter for chicks is totally wrong. She must think they're like puppies getting wormed. You can look at the feed label and google the ingredient for more information, but jeepgirl13 has it right.

I always wonder where these folks think chicks this young would get worms in the first place? They don't have worms develop in the egg with them, and the vast majority of chicks are brooded in a container on bedding. Worms don't just magically appear! They have to come from somewhere---where does she think they would have come from? Just another example of someone repeating information they'd been told and not really thinking it through. Sad it's someone who, by their position, has some authority to what they tell customers.

Last edited:
I have also noticed a lot of places people will say whatever it takes to sell more product. I have been a victim of this myself. Ended up costing me around $2000 in the end. Anything to make a few extra dollars I guess

After a comment and heavy handed response like that, I'd be finding somewhere else to buy my NON MEDICATED feed. I ran into the same thing (kind of) with an employee insisting that I get medicated feed. I ended up getting multi-flock starter. Has a high protein content and non medicated.

Well, I returned the 25 lbs. of medicated feed today and bought more of the non-medicated. When I tried to do the exchange, the woman asked if the chicks I had were purchased from them (IFA). I said no. She asked if they were vaccinated. I said they were vaccinated for Mareks. She gave me a very wary look like I was doing something very wrong, but made the exchange without any further comment. I don't understand the reluctance to sell me something they have in their own store. Weird. Thanks again for all of your input.

When I bought some chicks at TSC a few weeks ago, every waterer in the place had yellow water in it. The guy who was boxing up the chicks for me told me I needed to take home a packet of tetracycline (Tylan, I think) to put in their water to keep them healthy. I know better than to do that, but I did wonder if it was a company policy that the employee didn't really understand, or if the guy was just uneducated about chick medications.

Back
Top Bottom