I have a question for those who are/have hatched in the classroom

Pearsandgrapes

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 29, 2009
Northern Sacramento Valley
First of all...CONGRATS on the successful hatching! Hooray!

Second...what are you doing with the ducklings when it is time for them to move out?
pop.gif
I am asking because I would *love* do this with my preschool classes, *but* I have eggies coming out my ears already with my five laying Khaki's and (soon to be laying) 11 chickens we have recently added to our poultry/waterfowl adventure.
thumbsup.gif

Have parents agreed to adopt the babies?

The first two years I hatched Khaki Campbells. The eggs came from one of my student's families that raise Khakis. We gave the ducklings back to them at the end of the school year. They brought them into visit the next fall, all grown up. Last year we hatched Black Swedish ducks and gave them to a farm about 100 miles from here. I went to visit them this summer. During the summer though I got a new incubator and hatched 7 runners (just to try it out) : ) : ) I have kept all of the runners. I am hoping to get eggs that we can incubate next spring in the classroom. I try to find a home before I hatch them, but so far it hasn't been a problem. I would think it would be easier to find a home for them in a more populated area. I live in a small town in Alaska.

Tia

I usually hatch my cotournix quail...then I bring them home! They grow fast and are good to eat. I also feed a few to my other classroom critters. Gotta be careful sending stuff home like that! I teach in a really small school and folks usually understand what is going on when it comes to animals and I know which families reallyunderstand what they are getting into. You could also haul them to a swap or flea market and sell off your extras.

If you are interested in cotournix quail I know a guy that will donate eggs to any classroom event like that..
wink.png

Since this batch is being hatched in the winter I am driving them (yep I know
th.gif
) to colorado from texas over christmas break. My parents are going to take them on their ranch. Next year though when i do it in the spring I am going to give it to the teachers who have farms and ranches down here. This is my first year though so i havent exhausted my resources yet. But yes...def make sure they have somewhere to go before you hatch.

Can you find a local 4H or Future Farmers of America club to partner with? You might find some kids who will take your hatchlings for projects.

Quote:
Hey...I am between there...just drop them off here!!! Where in TX...might find you a closer spot to drop them off...

Thanks for some really good ideas, everyone! I was thinking I would "fish" with the parents first to see if any were interested in taking the ducklings...I like the 4H idea also. I had asked my parents if they would like the babies since my dad told me now that I have ducks, they were getting some too...but, I guess he changed his mind, because he looked at me like I was insane to even ask!
lol.png
roll.png

I do know of at least one family at our school that is into farming, so they may be my best bet.
cool.png

Thanks again for the input!

Back
Top Bottom