I have a question...

Daddas1Punkin

Crowing
11 Years
Feb 9, 2012
Ca.
I have heard that chickens can catch some things from people. (like a cold) Is this true??? If so, what all can they catch?

Also, we just brought our new chicks home this morning, is there any reason that they are really quiet for a while and then peep really loudly all of a sudden
then stop? It is weird and I run in there (thinking the cat is killing them or something
hmm.png
) and they are asleep!
hu.gif
What does this mean? Thanks
smile.png

D.gif

Chickens don't catch colds, as such, from people or anywhere else. Respiratory illness in chickens is serious, and many experienced chicen kepers will cull a flock if it occurs. And there is little that people can get from chickens. Wash your hands, have separate coop shoes, and use sommon sense. And read up on histoplasmosis and salmonella. There is some good information in the stickies in the emergencies forum, as well as this one, or just Google.

You can get e-coli and samonella and giardia and coccidiosis and avain flu (more of a problem in China than here but since wild birds migrate...well, thats what ag always checks for, also there are thoughs that avian flu has led to swine flu etc. you could spend all day reading about that but its really not a concern unless you are in rural china or mexico and it CAN jump to people, but not often)...some people get lung issues from all the dander and dust (I forget the name-I seem to be immune after all these years LOL) ABSOLUTELY be RELIGIOUS about handwashing. DO NOT KEEP THEM IN THE HOUSE but for more than a few days at best-they make ammonia at an alarming rate esp. after they start growing, unless you are super super SUPER clean and change them several times a day. Best to keep them in a barn or brooder room or even a garage if in the city. Do not bring poopy eggs in the house without having a place to tend to them and then cleaning the area) The good news is You can have the sickest snottiest coughing about to die bird and you cannot catch anything from it-it usually has some sort of funk like infectious coryza. DO NOT LET KIDS or anyone without a build up of immunitiy to farm life (city folks, elderly, young children-handle them...very easy for them to pick up e-coli or samonella-happens all the time out here when the city folk come to the petting zoos at the fairs etc. It only takes rubbing your eyes nose or mouth or having non bandaided cuts to pick up something so WASH WASH WASH the hands-be obsessive compulsive about hand washing when youre done playing and you will have no problems. Ive been up to here in all kinds of animal and chicken poop for almost 40 ;) plus years and never caught a thing.

Pigs tho, FYI, can catch human flu!

No peeping is a sign of contentment or could be sign they are too hot-are they staying away from the heat area??. Some peeping is normal with awake or startled and just being normal chickens. Lots of LOUD peeping (and clumping) means they are too cold. Be kind to your chickies and keep the cats away from them and get the cats a fish bowl. ;)

You can get e-coli and samonella and giardia and coccidiosis and avain flu (more of a problem in China than here but since wild birds migrate...well, thats what ag always checks for, also there are thoughs that avian flu has led to swine flu etc. you could spend all day reading about that but its really not a concern unless you are in rural china or mexico and it CAN jump to people, but not often)...some people get lung issues from all the dander and dust (I forget the name-I seem to be immune after all these years LOL) ABSOLUTELY be RELIGIOUS about handwashing. DO NOT KEEP THEM IN THE HOUSE but for more than a few days at best-they make ammonia at an alarming rate esp. after they start growing, unless you are super super SUPER clean and change them several times a day. Best to keep them in a barn or brooder room or even a garage if in the city. Do not bring poopy eggs in the house without having a place to tend to them and then cleaning the area) The good news is You can have the sickest snottiest coughing about to die bird and you cannot catch anything from it-it usually has some sort of funk like infectious coryza. DO NOT LET KIDS or anyone without a build up of immunitiy to farm life (city folks, elderly, young children-handle them...very easy for them to pick up e-coli or samonella-happens all the time out here when the city folk come to the petting zoos at the fairs etc. It only takes rubbing your eyes nose or mouth or having non bandaided cuts to pick up something so WASH WASH WASH the hands-be obsessive compulsive about hand washing when youre done playing and you will have no problems. Ive been up to here in all kinds of animal and chicken poop for almost 40 ;) plus years and never caught a thing.

Pigs tho, FYI, can catch human flu!

No peeping is a sign of contentment or could be sign they are too hot-are they staying away from the heat area??. Some peeping is normal with awake or startled and just being normal chickens. Lots of LOUD peeping (and clumping) means they are too cold. Be kind to your chickies and keep the cats away from them and get the cats a fish bowl. ;)

Thanks! Lots of info!
thumbsup.gif

The cats pay no attention what so ever to them... I was shocked about that! The only time one of the cats pays any attention is when they are peeping. The cat runs over to them and looks in, (lays down next to the brooder) and the chicks run over and look at her! It is so cute! (I think they have a 'mamma identity' issue) lol! No, but, she is very sweet with them.
D.gif
jumpy.gif

Just a quick observation, hope it helps. The sudden cheeping can be a sign of discomfort. It might be an idea to check the accuracy of your thermometer in case it's a little warm in the brooder. They're more likely to jerk and cheep suddenly if it's too hot rather than too cold (in which case they huddle).

When using a lamp, I like to ensure there's an area where the temperature is too low, so if the lamp/heater is too hot, they've got somewhere to go.

cheers
Erica

Back
Top Bottom