I have a Tribble...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ChooksChick, Jan 26, 2011.

1. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Remember the Star Trek episode, Trouble with Tribbles?

I have one, I'm sure.

I have hatched a couple of batches of chicks from Silkied Cochins. Love the little things...

The thing is, I have a mutant mutant!! She's a dwarf of a true bantam breed.

My second batch gave me a barred pullet who feathered out more slowly than any bird I've ever had. She is still mostly naked on her back half underneath and the underside of her neck.

She is all of maybe 8 ounces. She is pudgy, and rarely moves. She just sits there and hardly even poops- 2 or 3 times a day. She hardly eats, but she's not exactly burning up the calories, either.

I can't say this is much of a life, but she doesn't seem to care. She just sits here, like a paperweight.

I often have her with me, a little warm companion, silent, still, round and devoid of any signs of life most of the time aside from breathing. She's about 16 weeks, I think, and scarcely bigger than a dollar...and a lot of her is fluff.

I am waiting to see if she ever lays...it's a really weird notion that she could ever be that animated.

Just thought I'd share her with everyone!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    AWwwwwwwww! I am sure Captain Kirk would love that tribble!

3. lcw1995

lcw1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    VERY CUTE. although r u sure she isint sick?

4. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:I think that rather than being sick, she's just got multiple malfunctions. She has bald patches that I think may never fill in, and they're not symmetrical on her body. She has a bit of a neurological head-drift and tic that occurs, and she is just not right- never has been. I'm not sure if there's anything I can do to help. I do have her on supplementation and she gets lots of super-nutritious food. She hasn't any sign of infection, and never has.

It's a conundrum!

5. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    She's adorable!

She doesn't seem to be suffering, so enjoy her!

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

7. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Renée, those are great pics!

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Bless her heart, better have Bones look at her. Of course I can hear the old Doc now: "I'm a doctor not a veterinarian, Jim!"

Spock might have a few logical deductions as to her condition. "She's a genetic malfunction, Captain. I recommend termination."

Sulu would probably filet her and feed her to Scotty who would declare: "I canna take anymore!"

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:*snort of recollection*

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

Spock would say when he sees this tribble: "It would not be logical."

"Fascinating!"

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011