1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

I have an emergency

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by silkiechick05, May 20, 2010.

1. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Songster

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    My genius mom decided to open an egg up at the air cell when it is clearly not ready to hatch. It is a pretty good sized hole, bigger than a quarter. I am worried the membrane will get dry. I have heard that you can put plastic over it but it is where the air sac is, and where the chick will breathe.

Did she kill it?
    It is day 21 and you can still see huge veins.

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Songster

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    It will probably be fine. It's close enough to hatching that I wouldn't worry about trying to repair it. Just make sure the humidity is good and high in the incubator and don't open the incubator again until the hatch is well under way--at least 24 hours! And get the humidity up, because the biggest danger for that chick is the membrane drying out.

Don't worry! It will probably be fine. I've hatched eggs with great big dents over the air cell before, and they hatched out great and healthy.

If the membrane does dry out, the chick won't automatically die. You'll know because it will take much longer to hatch than the others, and you'll be able to help it out of the egg. But for now, get the humidity up and get it in the incubator with the lid shut. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Why on Gods green marble would she do that!? [​IMG]

4. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Songster

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:To see if it was alive...

[​IMG]

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:To see if it was alive...

[​IMG]

Oh man. You need to sit your mom down and give some lessons....

6. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Songster

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    I wrapped it in a wet paper towel and stuck it back in the bator. Can it still get some air through the paper towel?

7. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Songster

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    It's dead.

8. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Songster

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    [​IMG]

I am so sorry. That's hard to take. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: