I have audio of my chickens. Help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by trictle, Aug 17, 2010.

1. trictle

trictle Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2010
    This audio was taken between 8:30 and 10:30 am today. I have two questions:

1) The first one minute is a sound they make quite often, even when I standing in front of them. Does anyone know what it means or is it just what they should sound like? They don't sound like my idea of a chicken sound, more like a crow with a sore throat. They sound very annoyed.

2) I think this second minute is the "egg song" but they all start to join in even if they aren't laying. It is incredibly loud and I have neighbors all around me. Has anyone had success quieting them down. I'm really worried people are going to complain...it's way louder than any dogs in the area.

AJ

Link removed - look at 4th post for updated link.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  2. 1_FnkyFrm

1_FnkyFrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Knoxville, Tn
    Nothing to the link...

3. trictle

Feb 17, 2010
    I think Youtube is still processing the video. Sorry.

4. trictle

Feb 17, 2010
    Ok I've fixed it. Here is the link. I didn't pay attention to the video since it's just the audio that mattered to me. Thanks again for the advice.

5. CoupeDeVille

CoupeDeVille Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2010
    New Hartford, Ct.
    Sounds like my house from about 1:35 on...[​IMG]

I bet it's that white Leghorn making all the fuss too.. [​IMG]

6. laughaha

laughaha Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Figure out which is the unhappy loudmouth and find her a new home. Or you could figure out what she is upset about. Mine only sound like that when they are upset about something......

That's alot of noise for one chicken- she is making about as much noise as 10 chickens.

Everyone sings the eggsong when an egg is laid. I even have a buff orp roo that sings it too.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They get vocal like that before they lay an egg. Mine will sometimes "pace" back and forth to the coop squawking like that. And yes, the last part of the audio is the egg song.

8. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    The first part sounds like my leghorns. I don't have to worry about neighbors and I enjoy it....but like I said, I don't have to worry about neighbors. Unless your neighbors complain I wouldn't worry about it. They may find it fun. I used to have a donkey. When she found a new home many neighbors asked what happened to her as they missed her braying....at 5:30 a.m.!!

9. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    I laughed by butt off, poor neighbors, sounds like mine but three times worse!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. PetRock

PetRock Overrun With Chickens

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    My BR was bawking like that last night for about 30 min. It wasn't the egg song because she lays her egg at around noon and doesn't sing the egg song after or before she does the deed. All I could figure out was that I had shut them up in the run an hour earlier than usual. I think that she was ticked off about it and was letting me know. Our neighbors just got home from Hawaii yesterday and I sure hope that the unusual amount of noise didn't upset them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by