I have chicken and turkey eggs toguether hatching in the incubator, But different dates!

natyvidal

Songster
5 Years
Mar 1, 2018
Dade City, Florida
Hi Everyone!

So as the title say I thought I could incubate chicken eggs and turkey eggs in the same incubator. Now that I am rereading the time and hatching information on both types of fowl, I realize the difference in hatching dates for both types. I am planning to kindle the eggs tonight but they seem to be coming along nicely.

Question? At 18 days can I move the chicken eggs to a different brooder with a heat lamp and monitor the heat temperature? I can also include water bowl to maintain humidity, meanwhile allowing the turkey eggs to continue hatching for more days in the incubator? The incubator has a tray that moves the eggs automatically, since they take longer?

Or, can I just remove the tray that rotate the eggs, allow all eggs to lay on their side and just continue to monitor the temperature and humidity? As the chicks are born or I notice they are breaking the shell or hear them peep, I can move them to a different place and I can continue to turn the turkeys eggs by hand twice a day?

I need to go with the most sure thing for hatchability of these eggs.

Any ideas, suggestions, and additional information, is welcomed. I've incubated eggs before not the first time but because of space constraints and behavior of the turkey hen, I had to place both types of eggs together. Today is the 17th day they have been in the incubator. So, chicken eggs are due in 4 days and turkey eggs are due in 10 days? Shut, I think I really messed up. should have used different incubators. Anyway, any help is welcomed to try to save the situation. Thank you ahead of time.

I know that some hatch at a staggered schedule. I have not tried this, but I would leave everything in the incubator until it hatches. I would choose a moderate humidity maybe 60. The turkey eggs have had a chance to loose moisture and a little higher at the end should be ok. The chickens of course will need the humidity to escape. I just thought of something. I unknowingly hatched 2 chickens when I was incubating ducks. ( I will not be buying from that seller again) They were fine despite the lower humidity and turner, but I would take the Turner out since you know you have a staggered hatch.

I know that some hatch at a staggered schedule. I have not tried this, but I would leave everything in the incubator until it hatches. I would choose a moderate humidity maybe 60. The turkey eggs have had a chance to loose moisture and a little higher at the end should be ok. The chickens of course will need the humidity to escape. I just thought of something. I unknowingly hatched 2 chickens when I was incubating ducks. ( I will not be buying from that seller again) They were fine despite the lower humidity and turner, but I would take the Turner out since you know you have a staggered hatch.
Thank you. Greatly appreciate your help!
I will remove the turner and increase humidity. Got it!

Back
Top Bottom