I have chicks!!! First sucessful hatch of the year!!! PICS ADDED!!!

chicken_china_mom

Crazy for Cochins
10 Years
Apr 24, 2009
Tab, Indiana
I posted yesterday that my eggs were starting to pip, but last night one did hatch. I stayed up til about 1am staring into the incubator, waiting for more than just the few pips I saw, but no one was ready to come out, and I was exhausted, so I went to bed. I woke up this morning to my daughter jumping up and down screaming that we had another chick. Ok, two chicks, not too shabby, and already better than the first hatch I actually got a chick from last year. So I got up and went to look in the bator, and low and behold there are 7 babies, not 2!!! And so then my daughter returned to plaster her face to the bator window, and while she's watching another bantam egg hatched! So we are up to 8, but they aren't done just yet! There are still a bunch more pipping. This is so exciting!!!!

Last edited:
woot.gif

It's 4:30 and I STILL have babies hatching out, I love it! It looks like we have a little bit of tragedy though. One baby made it all the way out, and then just laid down and died, and another baby, it looks like maybe his egg was trampled, because he was dead as he slid out. Other than those two little angels, I have 12 beautiful chicks in so many different colors, and still more hatching! I have some of my own eggs that are hatching, first time sucessfully hatching out my own eggs, and I have some beautiful colored chicks. A few that are the loveliest shades of silver, and a few others with interesting colors. Should be fun trying to figure out who the parents are later on, lol. I know my Bantam Splash Cochins were laying, and my Barred Cochin hen was laying, but not sure if I put in any from my Bantam BO hen or my Silkie mixed hen. I know a few eggs I put in were from my White Silkie hens, but it doesn't look like the White Silkie roo is the baby's daddy, lol. Probably a Cochin is. They are soooooooo cute! I can't wait to hold them!

A.T. Hagan :

Congratulations!

I have to admit that I am spending a lot of time thinking about the eggs in our incubator. This is worse than waiting for seeds to come up.

.....Alan.

I know what you mean. I find myself constantly staring into my incubators. I have another batch of eggs set to hatch in my other incubator on the 9th, and even though I'm watching these babies hatch, I'm still checking that incubator constantly for temp and humidity. Sometimes it feels like the 21 days that it takes for the chicks to hatch are the longest 21 days of my life!​

Back
Top Bottom