I Have Eggs!! - Now with pictures!

Veleda

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 2, 2011
I have a small flock of 5 black sex-links, 2 (straight run) Brahmas (white and black), 3 fawny colored Tetras and the 'baby' Bantam. The seven 'big girls' are five months old now and over the past three days I've found 7 eggs! I also found the shell of an eighth egg...not sure what happened there. We thought the Brahmas would be roosters, but I watched one of them use the nest box to get comfy...later on, there was an egg in there! So maybe I lucked out and got 2 girls.
smile.png

I don't think my 'babies' are ready to lay yet, they are just shy of 4 months old now and they are significantly smaller than the 'big girls.' The two groups will sometimes gather together, but they generally stay in their own groups. The Bantam, in particular, stays in the safety net provided by the Tetras...I think the Sex-Links pick on her.

My problem is that my chickens are free range...we have a half-acre lot that has a 6' privacy fence around the backyard portion. They have free range to the entire backyard during the day and get corralled at night in their 8x8 coop. However, only the one Brahma has used the nest box! Two other eggs I found in the coop...but two were under the chickens' favorite shade tree, one was near the water faucet for the garden hose (they seem to congregate there!) and another was on my porch in another favorite hiding spot for the sex-links. I don't want to confine them to a run...but I also don't want to do an easter egg hunt every day! Will the wooden egg in the nest box really work?

I realize that I was hurried earlier...but now there are pictures!
81368_img_6259.jpg

This is the first egg I found under the tree on 31 July.

81368_img_6260.jpg

I found these two on the first of August...they were in the coop.

81368_img_6261.jpg

This one is the one in the nest box left by my straight run Brahma...the rest of these were all today!

81368_img_6262.jpg

The speckled one was near the water faucet and the other was under a table on the porch...a great, hard to get hiding place.

81368_img_6263.jpg

This one I found under the shade tree.

81368_img_6285.jpg

This one was cracked.
sad.png
Found it also under the table on the porch when the chicken moved.

81368_img_6288.jpg

ALSO under the table on the porch! This is also the spot where I found the crushed shell...That might have been the dogs. They go out in the back after the girls have gone to bed.

Last edited:
Here are some pics of the girls themselves...well, maybe one boy in there. Can anyone help me out here?

81368_img_6267.jpg

The Brahmas. I figured they'd be stewing roosters...but at least one is a girl.

81368_img_6275.jpg

The 'big girls' around the water cooler, gossiping I'm sure about the 'babies.'

81368_img_6281.jpg

My one Bantam baby left.

81368_img_6282.jpg

One of the Tetras. They kept running around the tree as I tried to take pictures. Silly chickens.

nice looking chickens....nice eggs! I am still waiting for #1....my oldest RIR is 19 weeks....

Not sure on sexes, I see pullets...do you hear any crowing? They all look old enough to be doing so if there are any boys in the group.

Back
Top Bottom