I have lots of chickens sneezing tonight, watery/foamy eyes.

Would there be a way of testing to see if anyone is carriers? There are some that didn’t show any signs or only mild signs like foamy eyes. And none of the ducks ever got sick. Would they be carriers?

Would there be a way of testing to see if anyone is carriers? There are some that didn’t show any signs or only mild signs like foamy eyes. And none of the ducks ever got sick. Would they be carriers?
You could get PCR testing on your flock - ask your state lab what type of sample they need.
You can also use an independent lab like Zoologix.

Birds that have been sick, have recovered and/or have been exposed would be considered carriers. So yes...I would consider the other chickens carriers.

All the info/research I have done on ILT only mentions the disease affecting chickens and pheasants - I've seen no reference to any other type of fowl, but it would be a good idea to direct that question back to the lab that performed your testing - they should be able to give you clarification.

I think I might have some answers as to where the illness came from. We are getting my taxes done and got to talking to the receptionist. Long story short she got some black sex link chicks last year same time and place I got mine. Hers all died from the same stuff my chicken tested positive for. She got new chickens after those ones died from someone selling online and they ended up dying also. That’s when she started researching and found it was that illness. So it had to of come from the black sex link chicks from the store we got them from. At least I have some bit of closure. :(

Good detective work.
However, the source could still have been so many places. It could have been from the breeder farm, from someone visiting the store, handling the birds, or even just walking past thee bin who had the disease at their property. It could possibly even been in transit when the store chicks were sitting on a dock at the PO distribution center and was placed next to another box of chicks that were infected.

Good detective work.
However, the source could still have been so many places. It could have been from the breeder farm, from someone visiting the store, handling the birds, or even just walking past thee bin who had the disease at their property. It could possibly even been in transit when the store chicks were sitting on a dock at the PO distribution center and was placed next to another box of chicks that were infected.
That’s true! I just couldn’t believe someone from the same area had the same experience as me. So sad.

*update*

I am having some issues again with similar symptoms as in January. I’m afraid they are having another flare up. The coop is clean and dry as I moved my ducks out of the coop permanently into their own area, they get out daily, and there is no condensation on the windows so I know it’s ventilated. I’m really sad that I’m gonna have to go thru this all over again. I’ve not had any issues since January. Is it normal to have another flare up just a few months after the first?

That’s true! I just couldn’t believe someone from the same area had the same experience as me. So sad.
That isn't really surprising. That is the nature of the virus. It is highly contagious and where it occurs can be considered a geographic hotspot. That is why it is a reportable disease in most states so it can be stamped out. It can be spread on equipment, the feet of people, rodents and even dogs.
Your region is obviously an ILT common area. You may want to vaccinate any birds you get till it is eradicated from the region. Have you reported it to the state?
I don't know if anyone gave you this link but here it is.
http://www.poultryhub.org/health/disease/types-of-disease/infectious-laryngotracheitis/

Last edited:
*update*

I am having some issues again with similar symptoms as in January. I’m afraid they are having another flare up. The coop is clean and dry as I moved my ducks out of the coop permanently into their own area, they get out daily, and there is no condensation on the windows so I know it’s ventilated. I’m really sad that I’m gonna have to go thru this all over again. I’ve not had any issues since January. Is it normal to have another flare up just a few months after the first?
You may not want to hear this but it is so contagious that your best course of action is to cull all the birds, completely disinfect the building and leave it vacant for 6 weeks before moving any clean uninfected birds onto the property. Not following that tack, just a bit of dust remaining can be inhaled and start it all over again. Vaccinated birds will be immune but they and infected birds will always be carriers.
Another idea is to vaccinate all the asymptomatic birds, cull the symptomatic ones and go with the flock you have till they are all gone. Then, empty the building, disinfect and leave empty for at least 6 weeks.
While it is a virus causing disease in only chickens and pheasant, ducks, geese, turkeys, quail and other birds can be carriers.

ETA
I highly recommend activated oxine for disinfecting a building once completely empty and clean. It will kill all viruses as well as bacteria, protozoa and fungi.

Once again, I commend you for getting a necropsy and lab diagnosis. That is the first and sometimes difficult step toward recovery.
One must know their enemy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom