I have no idea what I’m doing...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ClimbingChickens, Apr 20, 2018.

1. ClimbingChickens

ClimbingChickens In the Brooder

Apr 20, 2018
    Hello Keepers of Chicken Knowledge!
    I am a total newbie to all things clucking. I mean, I know how delicious they can be, but that’s it. We are a homeschooling military family who have stumbled into stealth chicken keeping. My sister bought our kids (my 2 and her 2) baby chicks. Somehow, I have become the primary (re:eek:nly) caretaker. The winged ladies are around 2 months old and have been content so far living in a coop I built in our garage with daily excursions to a pen in the backyard. However now, they are getting too big for their accommodations, and I need to build a lightweight, secure, coop/tractor. We have 6 chickens. 2 buff Orpingtons, 2 Americaunas, and 2 Barred Rock. I’m terrified that one of the BR is a rooster. And one of these chickens keeps honking. Oh dear Lord, what have I gotten myself into?!? Any and all advice is welcome and appreciated.

LittleBrownie and N F C like this.
  2. ellie62706

ellie62706 Chirping

Apr 16, 2018
    The only problems with roosters are they can be real bullies or really make a lot of noise(or chicks). Maybe try and swap a rooster for a hen, or sell the rooster and get another hen.

3. User395221

User395221 Crowing

Jan 3, 2016
    My Coop
    Welcome to the forum.

Deep breath. Relax. It'll be fine. First things first, build their house and run.
    The best thing about chickens is that they are not in the slightest judgmental. They'll love you whatever you do. If you have a rooster/s, you'll be able to find somebody to take him, if you aren't allowed to keep him. Don't worry about that yet.
    As Bob Marley says "don't worry about a thing, 'cause every little thing's gonna be all right"

4. oregonkat

oregonkat Crowing

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Yup, you've got yourself a little project, there. Welcome to BYC, you might as well jump all the way in, you are up to your waist already:gig. First thing to do is to hop over to the articles here and look up coop building. There are a couple of great chicken tractors there. Good luck and please post pics of your flock and your progress with the coop. As to the 'honker', take a good look at her and make sure she isn't a duck :lau

5. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hi and welcome to BYC

Here’s a good link where you’ll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find Your State Thread

Best wishes

Pork Pie

6. N F C

N F C Oh no Mr. Bill!

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

You can do this! You now have all that BYC has to offer at your fingertips. Whenever you have a question, just ask and someone will be along to help out.

7. LittleBrownie

LittleBrownie 4D Personality

Sep 30, 2014
    California
    :welcome

It's nice to have you here!

ClimbingChickens and N F C like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: