I have no luck with shipped eggs!

Thats why I candle my shipped eggs when I get them so I dont get my hopes set too high. When I got my last eggs, Wisconson to Illinois, I got 18, 1 was broken, when I candled the other 17 at least half had broken air cells. So I wasnt expecting a big hatch from the start.

My eggs are dark. Wellsummers so I couldn't see . How do you know if they have broken air cells anyway.

At day 5 all I can see is that there is a distinctive line st lsrge end and above the line is darker. Is that the air pocket ?

Same here. This year I got 3 batches of silkie eggs. The first batch, 2 developed out of 8, and 1 hatched, and was a mix.
roll.png
Then the second batch, 2 developed out of 8 and none hatched. Then the 3rd batch, out of 19 I think it was like 5 or 6 that developed. Then I had to help 4 out or they would not have hatched.

cqranch, what kind of eggs you trying to incubate? If you need duck and goose eggs, I can meet you in Columbia with some! LOL...that way we KNOW they are not shook up! I hatched out 17 of 22 eggs. 2 were clear so not even fertilized!

Shelly how are yours doing that I shipped ya?

At day 5 all I can see is that there is a distinctive line st lsrge end and above the line is darker. Is that the air pocket ?

Sounds like it. Sometimes if you get the light just right you will see the aircell more clearly. I tried Welsummers last time, and had no luck. I hope your hatch comes out better.

I have Marans in the 'bator at the moment, and will likely be able to see NADA when I candle in a few days.
smile.png

Quote:
I got 17 eggs in the mail, and they're hatching today. out of the 15 that were fertilized and didn't get scrambled in the mail, 5 have hatched, and 8 have pipped.

DON'T GIVE UP!!!!

I've heard that one or two out of a dozen shipped eggs isn't bad.
roll.png
And that because of Homeland Security everything is X-rayed at the airports. X-rays will kill the egg, so I've been told. I'd say you are actually doing ok.
smile.png

Quote:
Aww I'm sorry...Well, if it will give you more hope, I have 5-6 mailed eggs in the hatcher right now...They amount to almost half of the eggs that I recieved from this seller and are bouncing around in their eggs waiting to pip, with one already pipping now on day 19...This is the best ratio I've had so far on mailed eggs...WHOOT!!!!

The care of the eggs before shipping, age of eggs, type of eggs. All these can make a difference on hatch rate.
Ask seller how old and how they store them. Egg should not be shipped older than 2 days.

50% hatch is good for shipped eggs. Quail,pheasant,and Guineas do better. Peafowl,and turkeys dont do as well.

Of couse the packing, and shipping could have a big control on the hatch rate.

Have not shipped or received chicken eggs, not sure how they do.

OK guys figure this one out.....

I have shipped eggs once to Shellyd2008 on here (mainly to try out and see how the hatchability of my eggs were and how shipping affects them) and she has 3 duck eggs that are awesome but the goose eggs had nothing and 2 of the other duck eggs were quitters or had a blood ring.

At my house same egg producer girls...

I have 17 babies....6 are ducks and 11 are geese...I started with 24 eggs total!

Figure that one out will ya!
roll.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom