1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I have no luck with shipped eggs!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cqranch, Dec 9, 2008.

1. cqranch

cqranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Russellville
    I have absolutely no luck with shipped eggs. Last hatch, I had two sets of shipped eggs... 2 of 24 hatched from one person.. 1 of 8 from another. Have more in bator right now.. day 10 and candled... 4 of 18 were developing from one person.. 2 of 12 from the other. The rest were either clear, scrambled or blood ring. My own eggs that are in there have 22 of 24 developing. I guess that's just how it goes.. they were packaged great... I let them set for about 8-10 hours before putting them in bator. Just frustrating!

2. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Where are you located?

ETA: I'm trying to learn more about altitude issues with hatching eggs. Just curious about your altitude more than location.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  3. cqranch

Aug 26, 2008
    Russellville
    Right in the center of Missouri

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    That stinks !!! Maybe you should stick to your own eggs for a while !! Sure would save you some money !!

5. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Where were they shipped from? How cold is it en-route? There are so many variables with shipping, but don't give up. I incubated all summer long, and was known as the One-Chick-Wonder... I was lucky if I got one chick to hatch. Then as the temps cooled off in the lower 48, I had two really good hatches. Now the temps are iffy, but in the Spring, try again. Try incubating them in a carton to stabilize the airsac. Just don't give up. [​IMG]

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. I don't think you're doing any worse than most of us, LOL

7. cqranch

Aug 26, 2008
    Russellville
    Oh I'm not givin up.. I'm addicted! [​IMG]

The shipped eggs I have now came from Oklahoma and Tennessee

I have more being shipped after Christmas from New Hampshire.

And I'll definitely be doing more of my own.

8. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Hubby heard from someone local here that there haven't been good hatches this year for several farms here and surrounding ... Must just be a bad year for hatching.

Cindy

9. Brick243

Brick243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Southeast Oklahoma
    I hatched 7 out of 12 shipped eggs last June. They came from Alabama to Oklahoma. These are the only shipped eggs that I have ever tried to hatch.

10. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    You guys are making me very sad !!!!!![​IMG]

I have 15 shipped eggs in my bator at day 4. First time to hatch eggs.[​IMG]

I have watched them like a hawk !!!! Please don't tell me I won't get any chicks after all the expense of buying bator and eggs !!!![​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by