I have officially lost my mind!

We use a puppy playpen during the day even when we are home. Puppies are mischevious and will/do get into everything so your not able to watch them all the time. We put a puddle pad at one end just in case she does need to go and we aren't there. She has not popped in the house since the first day we got her but she does have piddle accidents. We take her out alot. After she drinks, eats, naps, plays, anytime the other two dogs go out she goes with. An adult dog to show/train her is also a good thing. They will watch and learn from them.

Cograts. on the new puppy and have fun with it
smile.png

Quote:
really - you honestly rub your animals nose in their accidents?
th.gif
That just says the owner isnt doing their job in training the animal. I liken that "lesson" to rubbing a childs nose in their training pants or underwear when they have an accident - ridiculous.

And YES you can teach a hunting breed to stay away from chickens - I had a wonderful Chesapeke Black Lab and for nearly 15 years that dog never harmed a bird one - he liked to play with them and bark but he never ever once bit them. When we got our chickens, he was excited to see them and whined but he never once attacked or tried to eat them - ever.

Maybe you're just not training your pups right...
hu.gif

Last edited:
Pup is a Lab mix (read: mutt) and is almost 5 months old. I have a crate upstairs in the attic that will be coming down--should I keep it in our room at night? That's where the other dogs sleep.

Erika

Dogs are pack animals and want company. It is kind of mean to separate them from the rest. So, yes, keep the pup with the rest of you. You may have to put a hot water bottle or some such in the crate at night so the poor thing has something warm to cuddle up to and does not feel so alone. I used to think crate training was cruel, but I am all for it now. Remember, straight outside the instant the puppy comes out of the crate. When you are not directly interacting/playing/training the puppy, put him back into the crate until you are sure he is potty trained. Do not set the pup up for failure, always easy success that gets lots of praise.

BTW, if you say the same thing over and over again while the pup is peeing or pooping, you can teach him to go on cue. This will be really handy later when you are in a hurry or traveling to get the dog to go "right now". We use caca.

Enjoy your new family member.

and don't let him have the run of the entire house - yet. its easier to monitor him and watch for clues if you keep him close by and don't let him wander and have an accident.

for the first few months it'll be you who is in training. hahahah. try to set a schedule and stick to it. as early as you can in the morning....upon waking up from a puppy nap, after eating, after playtime, after dinner, before bedtime...and anytime pup seems to be really sniffing for a spot....pups first accidents are usually our fault.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

John Lennon
from the song, Beautiful Boy
a beautiful song btw......

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom