I have returned after seven years

ChickieKeeta

C'mon C'mere Fluffa Feathers
14 Years
Feb 16, 2009
Cumberland County NJ
Hello! I quit having chickens because of neighbor kids coming in my yard with their dogs chasing my chickens. Discussions with their parents and my gifts of dozens of eggs did not help. I had tried hatching Ameraucana eggs several times. My last incubated dozen finally yielded one chick!!! I bought 2 barred rock chicks to keep it company. After a few weeks I filled a doghouse with wood shavings. I installed a stainless steel shelf with a red heat lamp. I attached it to a run and put the three chicks in it. I had a feeder and waterer in the run. A few days later I had gone out for the day and returned after dark to find an empty run and nothing else! That was the last straw!! I took all my chickens and equipment to the local auction. Fast forward seven years. I just bought a coop. It is attached (on the outside) to a chain link kennel 6 by 12 feet and six feet tall. The top is covered with chicken wire. I got 2 five month old and four 3 month old RIR pullets. Tonight, while they were sleeping, I added 1 wheaton Ameraucana rooster. 1 wheaton, 1 blue and 1 black Ameraucana hens. I sure hope things work out much better this time. I plan to build a bigger coop and a tractor run by mid autumn.

So good to hear that you're back in the business! I'm really sorry that things went south for you last time. I probably wouldn't have been nice after a couple of times of asking nicely on top of gifting eggs. The cops probably would've been involved. But now that that's water under the bridge, I hope all goes well for you!
smile.png

Hope things go well this time. Maybe your neighbors and their kids are in prison by now, and you'll have some peace with your chickens.

Sorry to hear of your past misfortunes. Hoping this is a better round for you and your chickens. Welcome back:D

Thank you all for the warm welcome. So far so good. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed having chickens.
Drumstick Diva, what a great and comforting thought! maybe they are in prison.

We used to have a lot of vandalism from kids that lived in a house behind us. One day I realized it wasn't happening anymore. I figured they either got killed in some gang business or they were in jail. Who knows?

Back
Top Bottom