I have some finch problems

seminolewind

Flock Mistress
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Sep 6, 2007
Corydon, Indiana
I have a pair of Lady Gouldians. They are 5 yrs old. The female looks to be getting old . She sleeps all the time except when eating. She's plump. She has some balance problems. Her beak is shrinking. This has come on over the last few months. The male is happy singing, bright eyed, exercises, does the hopping up and down

When she dies, do I get him another friend?
Can it be male or female?
Does it have to be a Gouldian?
Can he have 2 finch girls of another type?-Like a threesome?

I really need help with this, I don't want my male to be unhappy. I am not planning on breeding.

Last edited:
i have zebra finches, and have lost one, got another for the remaining one and they are happy- since they are social he definitely will need a friend- i don't think the gender would matter- the little guy will need a friend

Finches do better with company. I would recommend a female as the males can get territorial at times and may pluck each other bald. Sorry your current female is not doing so well.

Hi,

I would recommend you get another female gould... or find another gould finch person that would take him in trade for something else.

Good luck

yep, he will definitely need a buddy or two or three...
smile.png
A female Lady Gouldian may be better since that's what he's used to, but any variety of finch will help ease the loss of his mate. Since they are such social birds, any breed of smaller birds should be ok. Cut-throats, societies, zebra, whydahs, etc., or others along this same size category should be fine. I'm sorry your little lady isn't doing so well.
hugs.gif

ETA: if you have room, you may want to get some companions for him now and keep them in the same room, but separate from him and his current mate so they can get used to each other.

Last edited:
Awww, it's nice to get these replies. She looks like a ball. I thought she was losing her balance and falling from a low perch or falling over on the ground-no, she's having seizures! She gazes upwards, then falls on her back and has a seizure, then recovers. Then she gets back on her low perch and naps. It's really awful to watch but I don't think she knows she having them.

Thanks for your answers for my little guy. I actually went out Friday and got a zebra finch girl, and I will probably get another one. Then I bought a flight cage with a divider and put the new girl on one side. Then I can take the divider out when I don't need it. My little guy looks real interested in the pretty new girl. I think he'll be fine with a new friend. In the meantime, I'm giving my sick girl all kinds of different snacks, just trying to make her feel better. My bird guy didn't have any Gouldian females at this time. I don't think my little guy minds!

Last edited:
Hi Karen -
Sorry to hear your little girl is not doing well. Boy, wish I had read this post sooner. I have a cage full of zebras and would have brought you one!! I went to a Exotic Bird Show a month or so ago in Orlando. It was really nice and I am looking forward to going again. They have shows in other locations too and I intend to go to some of them. Here is the info, you can check out this website. www.exoticbirdexpos.info Click on the 2011 Event Schedule

When I went, there were lot of canaries and finches. Several different colors of Goudians too.

Good Luck with your birds!

Lisa
smile.png

Hi Lisa! I can make it to the one at the Hernando fairgrounds in March. Hope we can both meet there. I could probably use another finch girl. The one I got , I think she talks to me! I think she says different sounds for "come here" and "come back". Really funny.

Thanks for the info, I would rather buy from a private person rather than a pet shop, pet shops are so impersonal, LOL

I also have 2 pigeons from "The pigeon Capital" of the USA. They have been living in my coop. Most likely homing pigeons that decided not to go home. If you want them let me know. They're both banded and have lived in the coop rafters for months.

Can't wait til the show here in Brooksville!

Karen

Back
Top Bottom