I have some questions about my chicken's health, pls help :(

Skywarita

Songster
5 Years
Jul 14, 2018
Portugal
Hello everyone! So a few months ago i bought a beautiful chicken and then another one but they quickly showed disease symptoms (the fair had no conditions whatsoever they were stressed thus they got sick) and one of them passed away.
Now I still have the other girl which was sick (she had runny nose, noisy breathing, lack of air, she would sneeze a LOT, wheezing like she had lots of snot in her nose, she would open her beak to breathe, etc) and we gave her terramicine. It didnt get better so we took her to the vet and we gave her a deworming med and "agribom". Now, she does NOT wheeze, she breathes normally (I hear her breathing but only if im very close to her) she sneezes a LOOOOT less and she clucks normally now! Shes also active and eats (shes still underweight but getting better).

This is a background to the story, basically she got a lot better and needa some company! ! Shoukd I get her another chicken friend? Shes very lonely...
Sorry for the long text but i really need an urgent answer!

I am going to assume you only have this one chicken. Since she has shown symptoms of a respiratory illness, we can't say which one, she will very likely be a carrier from this day forward.

Any chicken you bring home will be exposed and possibly get sick, even though your chicken no longer shows any symptoms of illness. This is not to suggest you either don't try to find a chicken friend for this one chicken or that you must get rid of your original chicken. You just need to be prepared to treat another chicken who eventually may come down with the same illness.

Livestock shows and chicken swap meets are notorious for passing around poultry diseases. I recommend to everyone that they forego these venues for acquiring chickens and instead get chickens from reputable NPIP certified breeders and hatcheries.

I am going to assume you only have this one chicken. Since she has shown symptoms of a respiratory illness, we can't say which one, she will very likely be a carrier from this day forward.

Any chicken you bring home will be exposed and possibly get sick, even though your chicken no longer shows any symptoms of illness. This is not to suggest you either don't try to find a chicken friend for this one chicken or that you must get rid of your original chicken. You just need to be prepared to treat another chicken who eventually may come down with the same illness.

Livestock shows and chicken swap meets are notorious for passing around poultry diseases. I recommend to everyone that they forego these venues for acquiring chickens and instead get chickens from reputable NPIP certified breeders and hatcheries.
Thank you for the reply! God this is sad she is so lonely but i cant get rid of her either... ill see what i can do!

Back
Top Bottom