1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I have some

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rancher hicks, Sep 25, 2009.

1. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I have some Del hens with white legs. Is it possible that they are just faded? I have read something to this affect.
    Also some of the chicks I hatched had greenish legs. Would these turn yellow like the standard calls for? Should I dump the white legged hens? The roo has yellow as do a couple of the 4 hens I got with him.

2. catfish/okie

catfish/okie Chillin' With My Peeps

I would guess these Del hens has something else bred into them.

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I think I heard that their legs can fade once they've been laying a while- think it happens to rocks too. I'm sure somebody else knows more about it.

4. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    A yellow legged hen can look like a white legged hen at the end of the season if they have a high production rate. Their bodies pull the yellow pigmentation from their leg for coloring of the yolks. As they lay more, the color in their shanks should lessen

5. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    yeah but why would the chicks have greenish legs and some have yellow?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by