I have the Chick-N-Cabin by Ware Manufacturing and had a question....

Here is what I did:
14251_rundoor_latch.jpg

I had/have a Chick-N-Hutch with a run.

Bought it in spring of '08, lucky you for getting all the parts, mine was missing some bolts, some of the boards were warped, and the holes didn't always line up(which didn't matter alot cuz I didn't have enough bolts to fill all of them anyway
roll.png
)

They are right to say you should stain or paint it. Mine is already falling apart, the egg door is shambles and needs replaced. I only use it for isolation now though and I did learn from using this one what I wanted out of the new one.

Good news though is that the roof on mine is still fine(far as I know...).

Because I had spare paver bricks I put them all around the outside of the coop, that worked well, even kept my own dogs out a couple of times. Just an alternate idea to the wire apron. Either way they are both really good additions to keep out the predators.

This may not apply to you, but up here in Michigan where winter is usually in the 20's and dips into the negative teens sometimes for a week or so I replaced the roost bar's with 2x4's in the fall and kept them there till late spring. This has them sit on their toes which keeps them from getting frostbite.

I don't know what winter is like there but I'd consider(like whenever you get around to it before November, or whenever it gets cold there) making some pannels to block the wind, I used OSB. To keep the draft off them. Leave those circle holes open though for venting.

Here are some pix of what I mean by the pannels, for some reason I only have pix of the front one I made with a pop hole, but for the sides I just cut it to fit in next to the wire and secured it in for the winter(screwed through the board into the roost 2x4 worked fine). I plan to re-asseble it all pretty soon incase I need to use it for iso, I'll try to remember get some more pix then.

14251_runview1.jpg

14251_rhodie_the_rir.jpg

14251_coop.jpg

Note: I keep shavings in the nest box too, don't know why there was none when I took this pix, maybe I remembered I wanted to take pix mid-cleaning???
14251_coop_door.jpg

Thanks! Anything to keep the cleaning the most efficient process possible sounds good to me!

I've lived IN San Francisco for almost 49 years - still enjoy it to this day! I've always enjoyed our built-in 'air conditioning' when we occasionally have hot weather up here - almost like clockwork the fog rolls over the hills and drops our temperatures in the late afternoon.

Quote:

Last edited:
Thanks! I guess I was the lucky one when it came to all the parts being there for the assembly. I've yet to have the 'premium chick-n-pen' delivered - hopefully I will have an identical experience to my first! BTW, the use of that carabiner with the eyelets is a perfect solution - if raccoons got that dexterous I'd get the heck out of here.

The unit I got was already stained - in fact it smelled like some cedar based stain (if there is even such a thing - all I know is that the wood smelled like cedar and I'm pretty sure that the wood must actually be soft-pine or something like that ((if I were to venture a guess))).

Weather is very mild here in S.F., year round. Usually doesn't dip past the low 50's and frost is very rare.

Although the chicks aren't in the coop yet (still too young,,, probably another four weeks or so), but to get an idea about the temps in the coop I bought a La Cross Technology wireless indoor/outdoor thermometer. Mainly because I was curious about determining what the temps in the coop would be, day and night. It has a min/max historical feature - so far the min temperature recorded by the remote thermometer in the coop was 52 degrees, Fahrenheit.

I just recently ordered (should arrive tomorrow) the Dummies Guide to Chickens (saw the link here to Amazon).

The chicks are really adorable. Kinda makes me feel a little guilty about having eaten chicken - so funny how there can be a disconnect as a city dweller between the food one eats and the animal that provides the food. The perception won't stop me from eating meat, etc.. I just meant that it does get you thinking a bit - that 'chicken' doesn't just mean a type of food, but it refers to a real animal.

Thanks, again! :0)

Quote:

Last edited:
That is a super cute coop. I think with the opening in the floor they can get down into the pen, but you will probably have to remove that roost bar so they can jump back up into the coop.

Thought I'd give a reply to my own post on this product.

It is still holding up just fine, no issues and I've been very pleased with it. I replaced those 'heart' latches it came with it as soon as I had put it outside (now years ago). Wood (with the cedar stain that came with it) is holding up beautifully.

I added the automatic chicken door a couple years back and just recently added the light sensor option so that it open and closes automatically at dusk and at dawn (and it is a flawlessly wonderful product too).

Well, overall, just wanted to say that I'm very pleased with this product and it has held up, going on nearly 4 years, come the middle of next year.

Back
Top Bottom