I have to talk POLISH!

Well, I am having hard time keeping my WCB polish chicks alive. I have hatched four WCB chicks and four Chicks from the Cream Laced polish hen I posted the picture. I also hatched 6 Cubalaya chicks. Three of the WCB chicks have died. The last one (the one I posted the picture of) almost died so I separated it out from the rest of the chicks and it is still alive. The chicks from the Cream Laced hen are doing just fine and not a single one of them or the Cubalaya chicks has died, just the WCB. It does not make sense. Both the WCB and the Cream hen are the same age and the father is the same rooster. What would make the WCB chicks be so weak?

Well, I am having hard time keeping my WCB polish chicks alive. I have hatched four WCB chicks and four Chicks from the Cream Laced polish hen I posted the picture. I also hatched 6 Cubalaya chicks. Three of the WCB chicks have died. The last one (the one I posted the picture of) almost died so I separated it out from the rest of the chicks and it is still alive. The chicks from the Cream Laced hen are doing just fine and not a single one of them or the Cubalaya chicks has died, just the WCB. It does not make sense. Both the WCB and the Cream hen are the same age and the father is the same rooster. What would make the WCB chicks be so weak?
Is it possible the WCB hen is vitamin deficient? It would be passed onto her offspring. Are you giving the chicks a vitamin supplement in their water? I like to use the GQF Vitamin Plus powder in my chicks water when I have chicks that don't act vigorous. I feed my chicks Purina Flock Raiser (medicated feed can cause a thiamine deficiency) that I crush for the first week, mixed with a finely ground whole grain cereal that I get at the health food store. I sprinkle chick grit on the food since I feed the grains.

I hope this helps and your chick makes it
fl.gif

OK I recently got 25 polish chicks by accident (hatchery sent me the wrong order!) and at first I thought "how on earth am I going to find someone to take 25 chicks?!" BUT after scrolling through this whole thread I'm thinking "how on earth am I going to build a pen big enough for my 25 gorgeous feather tops?!" I've never seen polish hens in real life and I've been all about production up until now, but after seeing all your pictures I don't think I could bare to give away a single one! I'm a converted polish fan!
Once you go Polish....nothing compares. The first time I saw them several years ago I called them "hippie chickens". I get frustrated at mine sometimes but would not give them up for anything.

Is it possible the WCB hen is vitamin deficient? It would be passed onto her offspring. Are you giving the chicks a vitamin supplement in their water? I like to use the GQF Vitamin Plus powder in my chicks water when I have chicks that don't act vigorous. I feed my chicks Purina Flock Raiser (medicated feed can cause a thiamine deficiency) that I crush for the first week, mixed with a finely ground whole grain cereal that I get at the health food store. I sprinkle chick grit on the food since I feed the grains.

I hope this helps and your chick makes it
fl.gif

Both hens are healthy. They have an unlimited supply of balanced feed and can eat as much as they want. I give the chicks Durvet Vitamins and Electrolytes in their water from day one until they are 1 month old. I have raised over 200 chicks, and I although I will have some that die on occasion for no explainable reason, this is strange in that it is limited to one hen that almost 100% of her chicks are dying, and none of the other chicks that are being hatched with them are dying. Her chics are just simply weak when they are hatched. I am going to raise them separate from the other chicks from now on and see if I can keep them alive. I think they simply cannot compete with the other chicks.

Sadly earlier this morning I awoke to see my little Polish chick dead between the wire of the cage as I had him in a box but he must have jumped out of the box
hit.gif

My first thought in these cases , I've learned my lesson, is the crumbles are too big, so I hammer them down to smaller pieces. If you have a weak one right now, try a wet mash on your finger, or yogurt on your finger and keep trying to wipe it on the side of the beak hopefully with their mouth open, but just a smear.

Also , think about separating them with their own food, just hammer it down, or use a plastic bag and a rolling pin.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom