I have two chicks that look different

Mooocoow7

Songster
May 1, 2020
Norcal
I recently bought 20 chicks, 10 silver wyandottes and ten golden comets. 2 of the comets have black patches and I think they are something else but I have no idea.
Screenshot_20200501-191416_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200501-191455_Gallery.jpg

I think they're probably Golden Comets, but I cannot be positive. As they grow up, either they will look more like the rest, or the differences will become more pronounced. (Depending on whether they are the same or a different kind.)

Golden Comets are one kind of sexlink.
Some sexlink pullets do have markings like that. Minor differences among them are fairly common.

Did you order the chicks directly from a hatchery, or buy them in a local store?
If they came direct from the hatchery, then they probably are Golden Comets.
If they came from a local store, someone may have gotten some of the chicks and labels mixed up.

:welcome :frow Are the chicks from a hatchery or a store? Sometimes their down feathers will have some color variations but once they start getting their feathers the color that was in the down will disappear. Good luck and have fun...

I think they're probably Golden Comets, but I cannot be positive. As they grow up, either they will look more like the rest, or the differences will become more pronounced. (Depending on whether they are the same or a different kind.)

Golden Comets are one kind of sexlink.
Some sexlink pullets do have markings like that. Minor differences among them are fairly common.

Did you order the chicks directly from a hatchery, or buy them in a local store?
If they came direct from the hatchery, then they probably are Golden Comets.
If they came from a local store, someone may have gotten some of the chicks and labels mixed up.
The feather they have coming in on there wings are mostly black with some white. I got them from hoovers hatchery.

:welcome :frow Are the chicks from a hatchery or a store? Sometimes their down feathers will have some color variations but once they start getting their feathers the color that was in the down will disappear. Good luck and have fun...
There from a hatchery an there feathers that are coming in are primarily black with a bit of white.

If you got them directly from the hatchery, you probably received the right chicks. Hatcheries are usually pretty good about that.

A chick's first feathers can come in with all sorts of colors and patterns, but they usually look more the way you'd expect by the time they finish growing.

If you got any extra chicks, sometimes they pack extra males. Once in awhile it could be extra pullets. The golden comet chicken is created by getting a white rock female and a New Hampshire or Rhode Island Red male and mating them together. The resulting baby chick that comes from the two chickens is the golden comet chicken. Here are some interesting info on Sex-Links.
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sex-links/BRKSexLink.html

Back
Top Bottom