i hear a roo but can't pick him out

cptbahama

Songster
9 Years
Jan 13, 2011
augusta, georgia
We have a young flock of 4 months old. There was one speckled sussex roo that we got rid of. Now I'm hearing another chick try to crow but when I'm around them, they don't do it. The only ones that look slightly suspect are the tophats in these pics. Can anyone spot my roo?

We have a young flock of 4 months old. There was one speckled sussex roo that we got rid of. Now I'm hearing another chick try to crow but when I'm around them, they don't do it. The only ones that look slightly suspect are the tophats in these pics. Can anyone spot my roo?

The Speckled Sussex in the back right is definitely male, and that Gold Laced Polish looks male, as well.

Are you saying that the speckled sussex roo in the photos has been got rid of or is that another one that you weren't aware of?

Individual side shots of the other birds will help with identification of any others but my gut feeling is that there may be a couple more roos in your flock as well as the speckled sussex I can see..

He's bearded, so it's not likely that he will ever have wattles. And it can be difficult to see the combs on Polish. Their combs don't get very big, and the crest can make it hard to see.

I don't think it's the polish, I see some suspicious tail feathers on a few but the photos are too far away.

I vote for the speckled sussex in the background of the first photo. He has well developed very red head gear. And the Polish has rather flamboyant head feathers for a pullet.

The speckled sussex is one but you need closer pics if there are more roosters I can't see very well.

I'd say get better pics of the gold laced Polish and the barred bird in the center of the last pic, those are my suspects.

Back
Top Bottom