1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

i hear a roo but can't pick him out

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cptbahama, Dec 2, 2015.

1. cptbahama

cptbahama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    augusta, georgia
    We have a young flock of 4 months old. There was one speckled sussex roo that we got rid of. Now I'm hearing another chick try to crow but when I'm around them, they don't do it. The only ones that look slightly suspect are the tophats in these pics. Can anyone spot my roo?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The Speckled Sussex in the back right is definitely male, and that Gold Laced Polish looks male, as well.

3. Chaos18

Chaos18 Minion King Premium Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
    x2 on the speckled sussex

4. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Are you saying that the speckled sussex roo in the photos has been got rid of or is that another one that you weren't aware of?

Individual side shots of the other birds will help with identification of any others but my gut feeling is that there may be a couple more roos in your flock as well as the speckled sussex I can see..

5. cptbahama

cptbahama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    augusta, georgia
    hfolks, yeah, the Sussex is gone, I hear another one. I thought the gold tophat looked the part but no wattle or comb?

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    He's bearded, so it's not likely that he will ever have wattles. And it can be difficult to see the combs on Polish. Their combs don't get very big, and the crest can make it hard to see.

7. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I don't think it's the polish, I see some suspicious tail feathers on a few but the photos are too far away.

8. azygous

azygous Overrun With Chickens

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I vote for the speckled sussex in the background of the first photo. He has well developed very red head gear. And the Polish has rather flamboyant head feathers for a pullet.

9. youngchooklover

youngchooklover Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    South Australia
    The speckled sussex is one but you need closer pics if there are more roosters I can't see very well.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'd say get better pics of the gold laced Polish and the barred bird in the center of the last pic, those are my suspects.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by