I heard one of my 10 week old chicks crow

CluckYeah8908

Songster
6 Years
Jun 18, 2016
Oklahoma
I heard one of my 10 week babies crow as I was filling up a kiddie pool for my duck. I couldn't see which one it was. My Rhode Island Red Rooster, Tom, was still locked up in the chicken house (my next step was letting them out into the yard.) Everytime he would crow I would hear one of the baby's attempt to crow. It was very amusing. Of course I was told all the babies were pullets from the feed store where I bought them. This is the one I suspect of being a rooster. My Rhode Island Red chick named Talonflame. (My fiancé named him after a Pokemon.) I suspect Talonflame of being a rooster because he has green feathers coming in around his neck. He's also one of the bravest chickens and he gives me "the look". I definitely know "the look" from Tom. So my question is do you think he is indeed a cockerel? And also if he turns out to be a cockerel would it be okay to keep him? I have 11 hens and 1 rooster, he would make it 2. My hens have "hen saddles" to protect their backs. I also have a Cayuga duck hen. She lives with the chickens. Tom mounts her very little but I would differently get her a saddle if Talonflame is a rooster. I don't think Tom would let him near Jerri (the duck) anyways. If I even go near Jerri, Tom freaks out, haha. If Tom and Jerri aren't near each other they loudly call to each other until the reunite. He is very protective of his duck.

at 10 weeks it looks like a pullet to me. Its not uncommon for females to make a "crowing" sound. Sounds like a garbled crow. Any other suspect cockerels?

Agree with the others. I also have 2 RIRs that are about 10 weeks and they are pullets and look a lot like yours in terms of combs and wattles. One of them also has a bit of an attitude, but as of now she's at the top of the pecking order, though my EE is trying to challenge her.

Back
Top Bottom