I Herd the "egg song" today

BlakesFarm

Songster
9 Years
Jan 6, 2011
Upstate SC
So I was at the end of the garden and the chickens and the guineas were up by the greenhouse (they free range). I here one of the chickens behind the greenhouse start the eggs song (first time, I have never got an egg from them) I finish up weeding around the okera and walk to the the hen (in no rush, I was hopeing that I could catch her in the act), by the time I got to the greenhouse the hen got up and ran to the rest of the flock , right when I went around the corner of the greenhouse.
he.gif

So you see me there sifting through the pots and tall grass looking for my first egg, no egg was found after 10min so I gave up.
barnie.gif
Maby Ill catch her tommrow, I still dont know which hen did it. I had a good talk with one of the hens, I got the one I thought laid the egg and was asking here where she hid the egg or which other two hens laid the egg.
wink.png

Could she of actually laid an egg or could she of been just practicing her egg song? They are at the age where they could start laying any day now.

D.gif

I have one girl that just started laying (my first). But I have not heard an 'egg song.' Someone on the forum wrote that you would recognize it when you heard it...obviously I didn't, or she didn't. What does it sound like?

They kind of sound like this:

Thoes arnt my chickens in the video but thats what they sound like. I have herd the egg songs 3 more times now, I catch them doing it every time now and no egg. I think i saw my rooster trying to breed with one of my hens today so my 1st egg might be coming soon.
D.gif

MY FIRST FREE RANGE EGG!! The 9-10-11 egg:

75613_014.jpg

75613_016.jpg

75613_005.jpg

She laid and egg on 9-10, 9-11, 9-13, and 9-14.... her pattern is that she will lay one egg every day for two days in a row and then skip a day. Over the last few days though she is laying an egg every day. My only question is that on the verry first egg that she laid whats the white patches on the egg, extera calcium?

The 9-14-11 egg:

75613_4th_egg.jpg

By the way this is the hen:

75613_024.jpg

75613_009.jpg

Back
Top Bottom