I Hit the Eggshell Mother Lode

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by joebryant, Jan 31, 2009.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

I just now called the local McDonald's restaurant and asked for the manager. I explained to him that I had six chickens and how some were beginning to lay eggs. I asked him if he would ask the grille people to save me their eggshells. I told him that I would pick them up anytime he wanted me to. I'm going in today after 11 A.M. when breakfast ends. I'll probably get a year's supply in just a few days.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    That was innovative. And great recycling!
    JJ

3. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I worked at a McDonald's during high school. I was "the" breakfast person on weekends and during the summer...got there at 4:30 am, fired up the grill, etc. It was a neat job (though kind of greasy...). I can recall how many eggs we would use up on the average morning: many, many dozen!! You'll get piles of eggshells that otherwise would have gone straight into the trash.

Great recycling effort! [​IMG]

4. supermom1

supermom1 New Egg

Jan 22, 2009
    What are you going to use the egg shells for?

5. joebryant

Quote:I have three hens that are just beginning to lay, so I'm getting the eggshells from McDonalds to feed to them. Doing that, I won't have to go out and buy ground up oyster shells for them.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  6. noriko

noriko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    N E Pennsylvania
    That's really a good idea! I like it. I hope they will save egg shells for you! I'm giving my girls ground up oyster shells & ground up eggs shells. Their eggs are hard as rock! [​IMG]

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Awesome idea. I know someone that owns a diner. I can ask her to save eggs for one day for me here and there [​IMG]

8. joebryant

It turned out better than I had expected. I won't need anymore eggshells for at least a year. McD's gave me a bag full. Then Anne and I went to a new, large pancake restaurant ; it was packed. I talked to the owner, and he went back into the kitchen and brought out a humongous bag full.
    I just now washed them all in the downstairs laundry room sink filled with hot water and a half cup of bleach (I thought it best to be careful since I have no idea of who/how they were handled) and rinsed them in a refilled sink of hot water. I brought them upstairs in the big black bag, took them out by the handfuls, smashing them with my fingers, and put them in a BIG pot that Anne has. They filled that pot to the brim.
    I want to bake them in the oven for 15 minutes or more at 350*, but I have to wait for Anne to get out of the shower because I don't how to turn the oven on.

Once they're done, I'l put them in a paper bag and smash them with a rolling pin until they're small pieces.

9. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

i wonder if it would be bad to use the eggshells after the chicks have hatched,, anyone ever hear anything bout that?

great find joe!!!

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:You can bake those shells and feed them back, Jim.

Also - dud eggs - I feed to my pigs. They don't care. It's protein.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by