I just buried my girl:( What happened?

Mr. Frizzles Hen House

Songster
11 Years
Oct 9, 2008
Seabeck, Washington
I don't know what happened. I came home tonight and found my Americana (Bwownie) sitting just inside the coop door. She had her mouth slightly open as if to pant and was just sitting there. I picked her up and didn't get much reaction. A little puff of neck feathers, no vocals, and that was it. Stumped, I went and got my kids to bed and came back out to check on her and she was dead. I looked her over, but couldn't find anything. She was out this morning with the others for their treats. I didn't notice anything off. The only thing different about her was that she has had a bare back for the couple of months prior. I thought it was either from our rooster or plucking. I was keeping an eye out for her, never any blood, just bare. What could have happened??? Should I be checking the rest for anything?

Last edited:
Did you check really close for lice or mites? I have heard that can kill them? And I just have to ask.....was the smile intentional?
hide.gif

I would check for mites/lice and if you see numerous treat your other birds. I had that happen a couple times and the 2 it happened to, had a lot of mites for some reason.

luvmychicknkids, what are you talking about a smile? I did not see one in the posting.
idunno.gif

I'm so sorry hun. I lost my 13 week old roo on Tuesday. Same thing, he was absolutely fine. We had some really bad thunderstorms and some tornadoes touch down close by. When my grandson went to check on the chickens my roo was dead.

I don't know if there is any rhyme or reason to it.

Sending you hugs!

Laurie

Thanks so much! Laurie, sorry for the loss of your liitle roo. My girl was just over a year old. Sweet thing who layed beautiful green eggs. Poor thing, i just wish I knew what happened. Now I have to break it to my kids tomorrow.

I did not see where you said if there had been a change in her laying. Problems with the laying apparatus are not an unusual cause for sudden death.

If you do not routinely worm your flock, you might consider worming them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked her vent area when I first found her still alive and it just flexed a bit. I thought she might being trying to lay in the wrong spot. After she pasted and I looked he over, her vent looked a bit pink and "exposed" with a bit of fluid. I dont know enough to know if it was normal or not. I should have taken a pic but was too worried about getting her buried:( Everyone else looks fine this morning.

Back
Top Bottom