I just can NOT eat store-bought chicken now, since...

mmtillman

Songster
11 Years
Jan 6, 2009
Southwest MO near the ARK line
....since I had my first taste of homegrown fresh chicken! Been butchering and eating my own chickens since the summer.Anyone else feel this way?
When I cooked a store-bought package of legs, tonight ....I couldnt get past the awful texture and the total LACK of taste!!!!! I cant believe the DIFFERENCE in them!!
So, I guess I am gonna have to have DH to build me yet another coop, before spring, so I can raise some cornish x birds for filling up my freezer~~YUM !

I can't say yet, I can't bring myself to butcher any of mine
hide.gif

All I can say is I definitely agree. When they are store bought the texture is horrible and they are almost tasteless. We raise a lot of our own meat and I will say that what we don't raise we get from a local meat market that does well. Good luck with the new coop.
big_smile.png

I have to agree with you, too. We had "Tony" for dinner a week before Thanksgiving. It was the first chicken I had cooked in years, and the taste was unbelievable. I kept thinking it was such a rich flavor. The store bought turkey we had a week later did not compare. Next year, I guess we'll have to raise chicken AND turkey!

I will eat store bought chicken but only if it is a small carcass chicken.
As ya'll said the texture and taste is just not as good. ( the breast and
thighs are worse to me.)

I can't say yet either.. I can't bring myself to eat the meat... husband loves it. xoxox

thumbsup.gif

Aside from the flavor and texture of homegrown, I can't go back to store-bought after seeing a slaughterhouse video.
sickbyc.gif

I know my meat is a whole lot cleaner and carefully prepared!

I totally agree as well. We haven't bought chicken in the store for over a year. I got some fried chicken from a store deli a while back, and it was horrible. Like you said, no flavor and very mushy.

mmtillman, if your going to raise meat birds, I would consider a tractor instead of another coop. You'll find you'll have healthier, happier broilers, and manure managment is much easier.

Back
Top Bottom