1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I just can NOT eat store-bought chicken now, since...

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by mmtillman, Dec 10, 2009.

1. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

....since I had my first taste of homegrown fresh chicken! Been butchering and eating my own chickens since the summer.Anyone else feel this way?
    When I cooked a store-bought package of legs, tonight ....I couldnt get past the awful texture and the total LACK of taste!!!!! I cant believe the DIFFERENCE in them!!
    So, I guess I am gonna have to have DH to build me yet another coop, before spring, so I can raise some cornish x birds for filling up my freezer~~YUM !

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I can't say yet, I can't bring myself to butcher any of mine [​IMG]

3. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    All I can say is I definitely agree. When they are store bought the texture is horrible and they are almost tasteless. We raise a lot of our own meat and I will say that what we don't raise we get from a local meat market that does well. Good luck with the new coop.[​IMG]

4. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    I have to agree with you, too. We had "Tony" for dinner a week before Thanksgiving. It was the first chicken I had cooked in years, and the taste was unbelievable. I kept thinking it was such a rich flavor. The store bought turkey we had a week later did not compare. Next year, I guess we'll have to raise chicken AND turkey!

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Guess I'm going to have to teach my kids how to butcher chickens...

6. harryg6167

harryg6167 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Kentwood
    I will eat store bought chicken but only if it is a small carcass chicken.
    As ya'll said the texture and taste is just not as good. ( the breast and
    thighs are worse to me.)

7. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:We in the Red Meat Industry say the chicken meat is merely a carrier for condiments.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Jim

8. hrdwrkgrl

hrdwrkgrl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2008
    I can't say yet either.. I can't bring myself to eat the meat... husband loves it. xoxox

9. journey11

journey11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    WV
    [​IMG]
    Aside from the flavor and texture of homegrown, I can't go back to store-bought after seeing a slaughterhouse video. [​IMG]

I know my meat is a whole lot cleaner and carefully prepared!

10. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I totally agree as well. We haven't bought chicken in the store for over a year. I got some fried chicken from a store deli a while back, and it was horrible. Like you said, no flavor and very mushy.

mmtillman, if your going to raise meat birds, I would consider a tractor instead of another coop. You'll find you'll have healthier, happier broilers, and manure managment is much easier.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by