I just can NOT eat store-bought chicken now, since...

I've had organic, grass-fed, grass-finished beef that was wonderful. Tender, juicy, delicious. I also know that if it isn't done correctly, the results won't be good. You have to have a breed that does well on grass only, such as Red Angus or Scottish Highland, (I know there are other breeds well suited ti this as well). I've read that Hereford don't turn out as well grass fed. I'm just taking the word of some folks who've done it for years, it's not my own personal experience. They also recommend intensive rotational grazing, so that the cattle are moved onto fresh ground every day or two, and the growth they are moving onto is lush, young, sweet grass. Cows in a field of tall, older grasses won't turn out well.

It's just like raising meat animals by any method, if you do it wrong, your results will show it.

It also helps if the cooks know what the heck they're doing, if the meat is not the best quality. A good cook can make a tough piece of meat tender and succulent. But if raised correctly in the first place, it's no harder to prepare than corn-fed.

There are several cuts of meat that take someone who has an idea of how to cook them to make them edible. My family raised beef cows for decades. A flank steak, a london broil, even a brisket will be like eating shoe leather if the cook has no clue how to prepare it to make it edible.

Properly raised meat/poultry and someone with a skill and talent for preparing food are a winning combo.

just bought a store bought cooked chicken for lunch. Delish. This summer or fall I'll be culling roos and then I'm going to have to do the deed.

I like home raised chicken. Store bought chickens. Them roasted chickens from Wal Mart. Kentucky Fried Chicken. At work the other night they provided us a Christmas dinner and I got to eat the best Turkey I ever ate. But I havent ate any of the ones Ivegot now but if they raise any next year I might have to.

Quote:
Great story! That's what it is all about. Did you get many comments from your co-workers?

There were several meats to choose from. My turkey received many comments about how good it was (several from some people), including one that it was the best turkey she had ever eaten. And it wasn't even a heritage breed! It was just a big Broad Breasted White raised on our place and allowed to free range. All I had left to take back home were a few bones and scraps of meat out of a 28 pound bird.

Way out in the arrid West, where one can walk between the raindrops during a storm without getting wet, green grass is only seen for a few months out of the year. Unless one has the great fortune to get any of the very expensive irrigation water. It will get even worse as the liberals got a Federal judge to rule to restore the flow of the San Juaquin River. A river that has been dry for 3/4 of a century so that a Salmon can return. They call California " the Golden State" for a reason... and not for the long gone gold rush days. Beef breeds around here are on steep decline and the Holstein dairy cow numbers is on the rise. The beef breed cows are bred to a Brahma bull to get a terminal calf that would better survive the meager sparce dry grasses that is only ancle high at best and high heat. I surmise our Chances are that the meat that we are getting these days is from one of these skinny and old cull dairy cows or the Brahma crossbreds rather than from a beef breed. Then when there is a minor amount of marbling in the muscles and no chance of getting any from the benefit of 90 days of being corn fed in a feed lot, if they are to meet the grass fed much less an organic label... all this contributes to the tough shoe leather ... er, steak being served these days.

Back
Top Bottom