I just can't help it!

kkattt

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 9, 2011
Massachusetts
I admit it.. I am addicted to candling! This is my first hatch (for my 1st graders). We are on day 8- saw lots of movement today.. How often is toooo often to candle.. I was hoping to candle once more (tomorrow). I have a Brinsea Mini Advanced... No hygrometer.. Just monitoring the water levels inside... I only open the lid to take one egg out at a time. I use the incubator cleaning solution on my hands each time as well... Any thoughts? Is this okay?

Well, I"m a terrible influence, and therefore you should do the opposite of what I do.

But, here's what I do.

I wash my hands really well before ever handling the eggs. Some people use rubber gloves, but I'm usually too eager to see inside to go find the gloves.

I keep my brinsea in a dark, light tight room so that way I can candle easily, without having to carry the eggs around. Then, I candle to my heart's content, sometimes at least once a day.

If I'm doing a hatch at the school, I only candle once a week. In that case, I unplug the incubator and carry it to the staff bathroom, turn off the automatic on lights, and then candle.

I also don't have a hygrometer- I just follow the directions- add water to one well, and when it runs dry, refill it. I end up having to refill it twice a week or so.

Then, on lockdown, I take out the turner, put down the nubbly shelf liner, fills both wells with water, and then sit on my hands til chicks come out.

Back
Top Bottom