I just can't stand it!!

Pretty much all creatures are part of the predator/prey circle. We as humans don't think about it much as we are so far at the top and don't have to do our own killing for food. Go to the store and get some pre-killed food. I care for my chickens and protect them as best I can but I also recognize they are food. I eat their eggs, their babies. I don't raise meat birds although have tried eating predator kills. I understand the "tough old bird" allegory now. I prey on them and give them protection, hopefully a decent exchange. I personally don't like killing but have no issue with doing it if I see no other alternative. I don't plan on starving and I enjoy the eggs.
My chickens free range and I believe they enjoy the freedom although I also don't think they have a mentality that goes that far in consideration. I could fence them in and their world would be reduced, would they notice or care? Probably not. Take it further and further till perfect protection means no freedom. I think it is more our perspective view of them. How do we see them? Disposable or family? Would you still raise chickens if you got no meat, no eggs, and could not sell chicks or anything? If yes then you have pets, and many others do not. People mistreat things the world over, chickens included.
I have lost a few and keep a small flock. Basically over 4 years 3 predators issues. I just lost a few to a domestic dog when I was away. It is the second time a dog has killed some over the years. I lost some to a raccoon who is the only creature that has figured out how to get into my open free range coop without being shown or trained how to get in.
Same day as the dog attack, I lost a chick to a snake. First snake loss. I actually thought it was the person taking care of them when I was away, but I put a golf ball and an egg back in it and the snake came back. And yes they do eat golf balls. I just spent 30 minutes after catching the snake pushing the golf ball back out. Some interesting pictures. Even as a predator the snake is part of nature and if I take it far enough away it won't find it's way back. So I choose that option. I am very annoyed but choose not to completely divorce myself as part of nature, rather than apart and not to kill a beneficial creature if there is a reasonable way to stop it messing with my chickens.

Everyone makes their choice as to how to deal with predators.  I don't see killing as a first solution I see it as a last and final solution.  Not everyone is a "bleeding heart" that does not shoot first.  I warned a neighbor after his dog was chasing some chickens that I would shoot it if it comes to that but would prefer he contained the dog.  Sometimes other solutions take more effort and people are unwilling to make that effort.

"The ecosystem is something we humans have long since removed ourselves from and I have no intention of rejoining it"

I don't understand this part of your post.  You are by definition part of the ecosystem as long as you exist in it and affect it.
'a biological community of interacting organisms and their physical environment.'   It is impossible to remove yourself from the ecosystem unless you leave the ecosystem (leave not die as you would still be part of it dead).  You would have to go off planet.

As far as the OP, anyone starting any endeavor has a learning curve.

You are smoking dope.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I think we rural people should relocate our trapped nuisance animals in town. Think about it: there is always cat and dog food to be found, along with garbage cans and dumpsters. It wouldn't be a problem at all for them to find food. Unlike being dumped off out in the country in a strange place in another animal's territory.

Honestly, Mtnldy - it would be a lot cheaper for you to redo your coop so it has plenty of air flow at night so it can cool down so your chickens can sleep in it at night. Think of all the cat food you wouldn't have to buy. I don't know if owls like cat food, but I know they like chicken.

ETA - I was being facetious - I wouldn't ever do it or condone it. Just trying to make a point.

Last edited:
How did this post get so far from the OP's point?

If you are going to keep animals - of any kind - you need to take steps to educate yourself on what predators are in your area and how you are going to keep your animals safe.

The OP wasn't referring to people who free range and consider losing a certain percentage as the cost of doing business, I believe the post was referring to the frustration of reading post after post from folks lamenting the loss of their birds, asking advice on how to prevent the loss, and then failing to act on the advice due to laziness, lack of funds or whatever reason, but they go out and get MORE birds and put them right back into the dangerous situation, and act all sad and surprised when tragedy - predictably - strikes again! Then those people come on and complain about THE PREDATOR!!!!
Sheesh!
If you spend enough time here on the forum, you'll see that more often than not, threads tend to take many rabbit trails. Kind of like having a long conversation with a group of people. Something said will spark an idea or thought for someone else and off we go!

Why do we treat our birds any different than other animals? Is it because they're so easy to acquire?

Just today another person posted that a predator took her rooster AND has been taking birds right along!!

Then says they're thinking of hatching more?

If someone were neglectful of a house full of cats or dogs we'd all be going "isn't that awful? They should go to jail". But let someone repeatedly let their chickens become prey and we're supposed to be sympathetic? It's wrong.

This forum is here to help us to create a healthy and safe environment for our chickens. Not let them get picked off one by one or an entire flock in one attack as some are doing.

Sorry but yes, I feel very strong about this.
old.gif

I understand your feelings, and to an extent agree. However, I can also sympathize with someone who has lost a chicken to predators. We let our chickens free range during the day and lost one of our hens to a minx. Didn't even know this area had minx. Last year we lost a rooster and two hens to eagles, within a few minutes of each other. Eagles are not something we normally see around here. Usually our biggest issues are hawks and snakes, mainly for chicks, not full grown chickens. Our coop and run on the other hand is very secure against predators. I have some friends and relatives that tend to build cheap, insecure coops and I get upset when they lose chickens that I have given them because they don't listen regarding how to secure it. I understand not having the money, but if you're going to have them, then i don't feel it's optional to take care of them correctly. This doesn't mean I'm willing to keep them locked up all the time though, to me they needed to be allowed out, just like I wouldn't keep my dog on a chain.

Okay, I just have to ad this part, not to poke the hornets nest or anything, but, we also lose some to two legged predators, cause we like chicken too
1f609.png

Last edited:
I understand your feelings, and to an extent agree. However, I can also sympathize with someone who has lost a chicken to predators. We let our chickens free range during the day and lost one of our hens to a minx. Didn't even know this area had minx. Last year we lost a rooster and two hens to eagles, within a few minutes of each other. Eagles are not something we normally see around here. Usually our biggest issues are hawks and snakes, mainly for chicks, not full grown chickens. Our coop and run on the other hand is very secure against predators. I have some friends and relatives that tend to build cheap, insecure coops and I get upset when they lose chickens that I have given them because they don't listen regarding how to secure it. I understand not having the money, but if you're going to have them, then i don't feel it's optional to take care of them correctly. This doesn't mean I'm willing to keep them locked up all the time though, to me they needed to be allowed out, just like I wouldn't keep my dog on a chain.

Okay, I just have to ad this part, not to poke the hornets nest or anything, but, we also lose some to two legged predators, cause we like chicken too
1f609.png

I too can sympathize with folks who've lost birds to predators. I have too. However one has to take precautions and some don't. Perhaps you missed it in my original post. Some post that they've lost a bird after bird after bird. One person lost 70 chicks but not all on the same strike. Another posted that their chickens got killed by their dog, AGAIN.
As for you BertS, I don't follow every thread on this forum, just a couple, but I have read this scenario often and recently again. Offending chicken keepers should not be let off the hook when losing birds to repeated predator strikes.

I have offered some good tip for keeping birds safe. As for your previous post there is nothing funny about letting ones chickens be victimized again and again.

No one should expect or feel sympathy for losing birds if they've not taken precautions. Fact is they should be ashamed to admit it.

I'm sure you don't agree. Perhaps you should follow another thread.

However I might just find someone who will listen to reason and make the necessary changes to deal with their birds in a proper manner. Fact is this forum is to help us learn to be better chicken keepers, not lazy ones.

"Perhaps you missed it in my original post. Some post that they've lost a bird after bird after bird. One person lost 70 chicks but not all on the same strike. Another posted that their chickens got killed by their dog, AGAIN."

Actually I did miss that.

Back
Top Bottom