I just can't stand it!!

Everyone makes their choice as to how to deal with predators.  I don't see killing as a first solution I see it as a last and final solution.  Not everyone is a "bleeding heart" that does not shoot first.  I warned a neighbor after his dog was chasing some chickens that I would shoot it if it comes to that but would prefer he contained the dog.  Sometimes other solutions take more effort and people are unwilling to make that effort.

"The ecosystem is something we humans have long since removed ourselves from and I have no intention of rejoining it"

I don't understand this part of your post.  You are by definition part of the ecosystem as long as you exist in it and affect it.
'a biological community of interacting organisms and their physical environment.'   It is impossible to remove yourself from the ecosystem unless you leave the ecosystem (leave not die as you would still be part of it dead).  You would have to go off planet.

As far as the OP, anyone starting any endeavor has a learning curve.

You are smoking dope.

barnie.gif

Last edited:
So sorry that you are feeding the wildlife, and relocating raccoons.  It's illegal, for good reasons, in most states in the USA.  Mary

x2 and in addition if relocation by some stretch is legal (generally illegal in most states) why do people feel they have the right to dispose of their problems on someone else's land? I live on a rural lot and to some city folks it's probably the 'wild woods' but I sure as ^@#$% don't want your problem animals dumped on my property to become my problem, that is just downright selfish of the dumper... And I know I'm not alone in this respect, my wife has a friend Facebook that lives on a rural farm and people dump animals off nearly weekly at her place, from wild animals to all kinds of domestic animals, she is constantly calling the animal warden and filing police reports for animal dumping as well as shaming them on Facebook when she is able to get a license or picture of them in the act...

Last edited:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I think we rural people should relocate our trapped nuisance animals in town. Think about it: there is always cat and dog food to be found, along with garbage cans and dumpsters. It wouldn't be a problem at all for them to find food. Unlike being dumped off out in the country in a strange place in another animal's territory.

Honestly, Mtnldy - it would be a lot cheaper for you to redo your coop so it has plenty of air flow at night so it can cool down so your chickens can sleep in it at night. Think of all the cat food you wouldn't have to buy. I don't know if owls like cat food, but I know they like chicken.

ETA - I was being facetious - I wouldn't ever do it or condone it. Just trying to make a point.

Last edited:
Please do NOT make your predator problem someone else's predator problem. That is grossly irresponsible of you unless you intend to go door to door at every house within 3 miles and let them know you are dumping predators into the area. Actually its still pretty irresponsible even then.

Wow, I guess you all didn't understand what I wrote. I trap feral cats for catch, fix and release. A couple of times I've accidentally caught a raccoon instead. Once I released it where it was trapped and the other two were taken out into the wild woods, into forests that are miles from any private property. I'm not relocating problems to other people. I don't do it anymore, because of the concerns for their safety that was already mentioned. I do feed the local feral cats and the raccoons come as well. A well fed raccoon in the front yard that is using the kiddie pool stays out of my backyard where the dogs are protecting the chickens.

Thanks for all the love and support offered here.

I did not address you directly. See how I am now and you can tell because I quoted you? Nothing you have stated changes the truth of what I stated.
Please do NOT make your predator problem someone else's predator problem. That is grossly irresponsible of you unless you intend to go door to door at every house within 3 miles and let them know you are dumping predators into the area. Actually its still pretty irresponsible even then.

Yep. Still true. If you feel the need to get defensive perhaps you should either shed yourself of some guilt or accept some responsibility. Now that you mention it releasing raccoons within a few miles of other peoples homes is something I touched on. Weird but I seem to think my statement does apply to you now that you mention it.

A couple of times I've accidentally caught a raccoon instead.  Once I released it where it was trapped and the other two were taken out into the wild woods, into forests that are miles from any private property.

Someone owns the land you dumped them on... And I don't care if it's miles away you still have no right to dump animals of on another persons land anymore than they have the right to dump animal off on your land...

Almost all states (I don't personally know an exception) forbid the relocation of raccoons or have very strict rules that must be followed for relocation and for good reason, they are nuisance animals that carry diseases and passing off the nuisance animal to someone else is not an appropriate solution...

I'm not relocating problems to other people.

Sure you did, you dumped your unwanted problem on someone else's land, it's pretty black and white from where I stand, unless you obtained permission from the land owner and followed all applicable laws when you relocated...

How did this post get so far from the OP's point?

If you are going to keep animals - of any kind - you need to take steps to educate yourself on what predators are in your area and how you are going to keep your animals safe.

The OP wasn't referring to people who free range and consider losing a certain percentage as the cost of doing business, I believe the post was referring to the frustration of reading post after post from folks lamenting the loss of their birds, asking advice on how to prevent the loss, and then failing to act on the advice due to laziness, lack of funds or whatever reason, but they go out and get MORE birds and put them right back into the dangerous situation, and act all sad and surprised when tragedy - predictably - strikes again! Then those people come on and complain about THE PREDATOR!!!!
Sheesh!

Back
Top Bottom