I just found a dead hen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I did misread what you said, I apologize. I thought you said "I can't stand it when people mock others for how they raise their quail", then you mocked the OP for how he raises his quail.... I read it again and see what you were saying now. Though I disagree that it is "inhumane" to raise quail 2sq ft per bird on wire floors. I believe it is unnatural, but not inhumane..... just my opinion.

No problem. :) We've all got opinions—it's not mockery to express them. I think OP could do better, but the choice is ultimately his.

There's a big difference between the livestock we buy pre-slaughtered and the kind we raise in our backyards. We have little control over how the first kind lives and dies. We have complete control over the second kind. Unless one is literally raising animals to put their family's next meal on the table, there is no excuse for not doing the most when it comes to providing for one's animals, livestock or otherwise.

I've met people—through my local Craigslist and on BYC—who genuinely didn't know there are different, usually better ways of raising animals. There's only so much you can do for people who are presented with a kinder option and, having the ability to choose that option, don't (recognizing that not everyone has access to materials/space).

The control over how the animals we eat live is up to us, don’t judge people on their husbandry when you buy from a source that keeps chickens crammed in tiny cages, cuts beaks off chicks, and never lets their animals see the sun. If you are committed enough to animal activism that you judge people online, then make sure you only support sources that are free range and cruelty free. That goes for buying cosmetics and soaps from companies that test excessively on animals, supporting institutions that perform inhumane experiments, shopping at puppy stores that source thru brokers and mills, and many other cruel industries. Remember, you are advocating for a couple dozen quail here, but MILLIONS of other livestock are kept in conditions that make a 3 ft quail cage look like a 5 star hotel.

In the end we all have choices to make about the acquisition of the food we eat, some people raise their own livestock because commercial conditions disgust them, we all have choices, many people buy their name brand chicken and eggs, say there’s nothing they can do, the cost of cruelty free is too high, maybe it is, maybe they buy junk and video games with their money, maybe they really can’t afford, I’m not them, I don’t know, I don’t judge, I worry about me, and when my house is in order, and I’m perfect in every way, then I might have the right to tell people my way is better.

The control over how the animals we eat live is up to us, don’t judge people on their husbandry when you buy from a source that keeps chickens crammed in tiny cages, cuts beaks off chicks, and never lets their animals see the sun. If you are committed enough to animal activism that you judge people online, then make sure you only support sources that are free range and cruelty free. That goes for buying cosmetics and soaps from companies that test excessively on animals, supporting institutions that perform inhumane experiments, shopping at puppy stores that source thru brokers and mills, and many other cruel industries. Remember, you are advocating for a couple dozen quail here, but MILLIONS of other livestock are kept in conditions that make a 3 ft quail cage look like a 5 star hotel.

In the end we all have choices to make about the acquisition of the food we eat, some people raise their own livestock because commercial conditions disgust them, we all have choices, many people buy their name brand chicken and eggs, say there’s nothing they can do, the cost of cruelty free is too high, maybe it is, maybe they buy junk and video games with their money, maybe they really can’t afford, I’m not them, I don’t know, I don’t judge, I worry about me, and when my house is in order, and I’m perfect in every way, then I might have the right to tell people my way is better.

Bud, what's saying I/others don't? What's saying we don't only eat meat we kill ourselves? Lol.

Also, people can absolutely partake in the meat industry and have a voice in other areas of animal welfare. So in your hyperbolic view someone can't judge an animal abuser (think "dog kicker," not quail-raiser here) because they eat commercially raised meat? That's not a very strong argument.

One doesn't need to be perfect to pass judgement—one just needs to be able to defend their position. And you don't have to be "all in" on an issue in order to have a voice and make a difference. Thinking otherwise is defeatist and only enables the people "doing it wrong."

Coming off "snarky" was not my intention (hey, I like that word). You said you strongly disagreed with what I posted. I had no idea you were referring to the commercial egg and meat industry and not me. This is why I asked you what you were referring to when you said "Treat them like that". I assumed you were talking about how I treat my quail.

Yeah, I did misread what you said, I apologize. I thought you said "I can't stand it when people mock others for how they raise their quail", then you mocked the OP for how he raises his quail.... I read it again and see what you were saying now. Though I disagree that it is "inhumane" to raise quail 2sq ft per bird on wire floors. I believe it is unnatural, but not inhumane..... just my opinion.
Guys, this has gone way past what "OP" said. Lea e me the bell out of this.
No problem. :) We've all got opinions—it's not mockery to express them. I think OP could do better, but the choice is ultimately his.
Thank you. I appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom