I just found a stray chicken!! šŸ˜

Mira is so cute!
Sorry for your loss. :hugs
So, I have been thinking, she had to come from somewhere, you said that Mira was dirty and skinny with a white comb. Adult chickens that are abandoned don't last a good week in the woods. I am getting the feeling that someone bought a bunch of beautiful white chicks or possibly dyed chicks impulsivity and though, "Wait! I need to buy a coop and get food and 'waste' so much money feeding a bunch of new mouths during a pandemic?! Well obviously nobody cares for chickens that much and there are no websites for rehomeing. I'll just dump these dumb chicks into the woods to feed the cute bunnies, because I am smart!" This most likely ended with Mira's siblings sadly dieing because you usually can't buy only one. They fell by predator, hunger, and weather but one survived and her name is Mira which stands for Miracle which she is. She came to you with fear and mistrust in her heart but she will stay for the love as you slowly heal her soul. ā¤

IMG_20200806_093915.jpg
IMG_20200806_093854.jpg
Some pictures of Mira with the flock. Of course she decided to hang out in the long grass bordering the enclosure while I was taking pictures, so they pics aren't quality, but oh well ;)

Update: Mira is becoming much less afraid of me! Today when I went out to feed the flock, she came up to me multiple times as I was walking around and feeding everyone! I don't know if she was just super hungry or discovering I only want to help her, but it's progress either way!! She eats so fast and furious :lol:

I just discovered a new strain of breed - the Ideal 236. The description on the Ideal Hatchery website says they are larger bodied that Leghorns but otherwise are white (sometimes with spots), with single combs, yellow feet. They are primarily leghorn but also have some other breeds to aid in Mareks resistance. I wonder if that's what Mira is? She is getting a little..........um...........pudgy šŸ˜‰

Daisy was super flighty when we got her. It took months for her to calm down. Chickens are not solo animals. Given any choice they prefer to flock. She may just have been drawn by the sounds of the others. Leghorns are real birds. They fly quite well. She could clear that on her own.

I could only speculate why she is running free alone.

Back
Top Bottom