I just found a stray chicken!! 😍

AltonaAcres

Crowing
Jan 13, 2019
Update: Mira is becoming much less afraid of me! Today when I went out to feed the flock, she came up to me multiple times as I was walking around and feeding everyone! I don't know if she was just super hungry or discovering I only want to help her, but it's progress either way!! She eats so fast and furious :lol:

AltonaAcres

Crowing
Jan 13, 2019
Update: Mira is doing exceptionally well! She is filling out a little bit which is good! She is now established into the pecking order so I haven't noticed any other flock-mates pecking at her like they used to. She is less flighty around humans but still would rather not be handled or approached which is fine!! The other day she flew up on top of the run (even though I clipped her wing feathers) so I got her down and was able to hold her, she didn't struggle to escape but held pretty still! She eats A TON to make up for her being so malnourished when I found her. I just wish there was someway to know where she came from?????????? The mystery is killing me!! I just want to know SO bad :idunno Although there is almost NO chance we'll ever know :confused: I'll try to get some new photos of her soon :thumbsup

AltonaAcres

Crowing
Jan 13, 2019
I just discovered a new strain of breed - the Ideal 236. The description on the Ideal Hatchery website says they are larger bodied that Leghorns but otherwise are white (sometimes with spots), with single combs, yellow feet. They are primarily leghorn but also have some other breeds to aid in Mareks resistance. I wonder if that's what Mira is? She is getting a little..........um...........pudgy 😉

BarredRockMom

Crowing
Jun 9, 2013
Pennsylvania
If you want her to think better of you & your attentions, ply her with juicy crickets & moths at bed time!

I've attempted to bribe many a hen into coming closer & associating me with good, tasty treats. It usually works, too. If you always use the same words, they can associate them + your excitement level to understand that it's worth it to approach you. Heck, maybe they'll even COME WHEN YOU CALL, if you have a treat or have found a tasty bug! They learn that, too!

As for Mira, in my opinion possession is 9/10 of the law & finders keepers! No more looking for her former owners, they're obviously not looking for her. Besides, if she had it so good there she might have been inclined to stay...assuming that she was wanted. While it's true that she might've wandered off, gotten lost & been unable to find her way home, she found her way to a new home. For all we know, your dear Daisy could've told her where to go for help & shown her the way.

Accept your gift, say thank you every day & enjoy.

Top Bottom