I Just Had A Egg Explode !!

Quote:
I put my unhatched eggs in a freezer ziploc bag and sealed it up. Double the bags up if you think you need to, that way if any of them busts, you will be safe.

sickbyc.gif
Yuck.

I had one explode in my ear like that one time. It was under a broody hen and I was holding them all up to listen for chirps and got an ear full of green goo.

Quote:
lau.gif

We live rural, so no park trash cans here. A "friend" gave me some eggs to get rid of for her b/c she knows I sell mine. Well, the dates on them were to expire THAT DAY! 15 Dozen eggs that I couldn't move. 2 months later they were still in my basement. My husband and I went for a long drive with me in the passenger seat chucking an egg out the window every few seconds while guiltily watching for traffic that might see me!

Quote:
gig.gif
sickbyc.gif
gig.gif

Yeah, I pull 'odd' looking eggs. Had one last round I thought looked odd but left it... 2 days later it was weeping
sickbyc.gif
got it out of there pronto!

Also had a few other duds. May sound weird but if it looks odd when you candle, sniff it. It works. I pulled 5 of my last 48 set by sniffing ones that looked 'odd'.

Normal eggs don't smell like anything really (though if there is a stinker in the 'bator it may faintly) but off eggs smell, well, kinda like off eggs.
lol.png

I try to keep on top of candling... I suggest everybody acquaint themselves very well with what a fertile developing egg looks like, and throw out infertile eggs as soon as possible. Then, candle every few days. If you candle properly, with a proper instrument and in a proper environment, each egg need not be out of the incubator for more than a few seconds. (In my experience). I've never had an egg so much as smell in my incubator!

So glad I read this post. We have 20 assorted mutt eggs in the incubator. Sniff-tested them, and found one with a faint rotten eggy smell that none of the others had. We have 40 acres, and it's now somewhere far from the house......

Back
Top Bottom